Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 45CF vs Toho FC-45X: one user's review

Toyo 45CF vs Toho FC-45X: one user's review

After using my Toyo for a couple years, I decided to buy the Toho to replace it. The main reason I wanted the Toho was to improve the usability with my 75mm and 90mm lenses. I have spent several days now using the new camera, and before I put the Toyo up for sale I thought I’d make some notes comparing the two cameras, in case anybody is interested in either of these cameras in the future.

I also would be very interested if owners of the Toho FC-45X have any suggestions for me or would correct any misconceptions I have about the camera. I’ve only had it a short time so I may be off base in places.

I honestly would say that both cameras are fine picture-making machines. The Toyo 45CF has been widely disparaged in these forums, while the Toho FC-45X has gotten a lot of praise, but I think they are both good performers with their own advantages and disadvantages. I would recommend both cameras to people at this point; perhaps the only thing I might caution people about is the common claim in these forums that the Tachihara and Shen Hao field cameras are a better deal at the Toyo price point (I haven’t used those cameras, so I have no opinion on this myself).

The following lists are the biggest pluses and minuses from my point of view. There are many issues about these cameras that I don’t mention that may be very relevant to other people, so be sure to search the forums for other comments on these cameras.

Toyo 45CF advantages
    <ul>
    <li>After some practice, you can set up the camera to take a straightforward shot really quickly. Basically, just unfold, lock the front standard at approximately the right position along the metric scale and you are ready to start focusing. The Toyo lensboard design is easy to swap off and on the camera.
    <li>Clamshell design of field camera makes a nice compact package for putting in your bag.
    <li>Oft-ridiculed plastic on camera is not a problem. The camera feels quite solid and actually, the only parts that bother me are metal (see below). This camera actually feels just as sturdy as the Toho to me.
    <li>If your lens is small enough, you may be able to fold up the camera with lens still attached. This was the case with my Caltar IIE 210mm, although it had to be mounted at a certain angle, otherwise some of the shutter controls got in the way.

</ul>
    Toyo 45CF disadvantages
    <ul>
    <li>Wide angle lenses down to 75mm (with a recessed lensboard) are usable, but kind of clumsy. First, getting the front standard close enough to focus sometimes requires that you clamp it down partway off the rail, which make things pretty wobbly. You can minimize this problem by doing your fine focusing on the gearing as near to the rear standard as possible, but this is definitely a finicky process. Also, shots with the 75mm and many 90mm shots will include the front of the bed, so Toyo has included the ability to drop the bed down at an angle so that it’s out of the way. This works, but then you have to readjust the tilt and height of the front standard to get it in line with the rear standard again. There are no detents to help you with this, so this is also an annoying process. Adjusting shutter controls in a recessed lensboard is tedious.
    <li>Bellows are a little plasticky and tend to kink up at long extensions. Not a big deal, you just need to help them fold back up sometimes in those situations.
    <li>The little metal clips that hold the back onto the camera seem kind of wimpy. If you aren’t careful, they can bend when you are removing the back, which means you have to bend them back. I wouldn’t be surprised if these failed after some time.
    <li>The front standard must be moved onto the front rail when setting up the camera. This transition is not smooth on my camera and at first I thought it was totally broken. The key is to have the rail racked back to a certain distance and then the front standard slides on relatively easily. Too far forward or too far back and it will get stuck and won’t slide onto the rail.
    <li>Somewhat less rigid that the Toho. Need to be extra careful to let the camera stop vibrating and to not jostle it with the shutter release.
    </ul>
    Toho FC-45X advantages
    <ul>
    <li>As I hoped, using wide-angle lenses is much easier. There is no loss of rigidity as with the Toyo and you don’t have to do the hokey “drop bed” procedure. No recessed lensboard required for my 75mm.
    <li>Having the full movements on the rear standard is a really nice option to have. I survived just fine without them on the Toyo, but I’m having a lot of fun with them on the Toho.
    <li>More extension. I’m considering getting a 300mm lens, something that I would expect to be limited in use on the Toyo.
    <li>Bellows seem a little nicer.
    </ul>
    Toho FC-45X disadvantages
    <ul>
    <li>To fine focus, you first loosen a knob to free the mechanism, and then you turn another knob which cranks the rear standard in and out. Unfortunately, when you loosen the first knob, the whole standard becomes a little wobbly, which obviously makes focusing difficult. At first, when I pressed my loupe to the glass, the glass would actually tilt forward from the pressure. And then, when I thought I had the right focus, I would tighten down the knob, which would cause the standard to move ever so slightly, which meant my focus was off again. Anyways, the solution seems to be to only loosen the locking knob just enough so that everything is still mostly locked down but you can still move the focusing knob. There is more friction when turning the focus knob, but at least things are mostly rigid. I am assuming that I will get better at this procedure as time goes on. Is this an issue on all monorails?
    <li>No built-in spirit levels. Now I use some that are built into my tripod head.
    <li>No built-in focusing scale to judge absolute and relative positions of the standards. For me, this seems like a major oversight. Thanks to help from Lenard Evans, I am putting an adhesive scale on the rail to fix this problem.
    <li>The monorail design seems less convenient for putting in a backpack. I wrap the ground glass/bellows up in my dark cloth, which is a fine thing, but I worry about the monorail assembly, which just sort of floats around loose in my backpack. I’m worried that it will get bent or broken since it’s sort of unprotected. I think I will fashion some sort of foam case for it.
    <li>The Toho is probably twice as slow in use than the Toyo. Setting up the camera (or even changing from horizontal to vertical) requires a careful clamping down of the front and rear standards down instead of the simple unfolding on the Toyo. The reason I say you need to be careful is that it seems possible for you to drop the bellows assembly accidentally during this process. Since the rail is a telescoping design, you often have to set that first, something that isn’t necessary on the Toyo (although, in return, you get longer extension on the Toho). Putting lens boards on takes much, much longer than the Toyo since you have to loosen and re-tighten four bolts and monkey with a couple metal straps instead of the simple place-lensboard-and-slide-the-lock-down procedure on the Toyo.
    <li>The Toho is a little more complex. The Toyo has six knobs plus a couple levers. The Toho has twelve and they tend to be clustered together pretty closely. So there’s more of a learning curve in finding the right knobs to turn and more chances to forget to lock one down. After I get used to the Toho, I don’t think this will be a problem, but right now I'm still learning.

I haven't played with the Toyo although I've seen one, so I can't comment on it. Indeed, except for fiddling with view cameras on display and limited experience looking at others' cameras, my entire experience with view cameras is with a 6 x 9 Horseman Tehnical camera and with the Toho FC-45X. (I also briefly used a friend's Crown Graphic.) The Horseman gives me some feeling for what is involved with a 4 x 5 field camera, however, but it is different in some ways from a typical 4 x 5 field camera like the Toyo.

What you say about the Toho focusing is correct. But I soon got used to it. There is a position of the tightening knob for which the standard still moves smoothly but which doesn't allow significant wobble, and you soon adjust to it. But I always check the focus after I tighten down anyway.

As you say, the camera doesn't come with a scale, but that is very easy to remedy, as you've found out.

The Toho doesn't have any built-in levels, as you say, but you can attach some to it, as others have done. I find that I get by quite well with a torpedo level. I've been doing quite a lot of residential architecture photography, and leveling is very important for that. I don't seem to have much problem with that. I'm not sure I would trust built-in levels on the tripod since there are often differences between leveling the tripod head and leveling the camera. I find that the fastest way to level the camera is to use two of the tighening knobs on the rail assembly in one direction and the rail base itself in the other direction. But before doing this, you have to be sure the standards are perpendicular to the rail when in the default detent postion. For my Toho, that is true for the rear standard, but the front standard is very slightly off. Once set, I leave the controls where they are until I need to use a tilt. After a tilt, I set it back to perpendicular using my torpedo level, although I pretty much know just where to set it by now. The biggest problem I have with leveling is that with my old Tiltall, it is hard to make very small changes, and sometimes takes two or three tries. At some point I will give up and get a light, easy to use tripod to replace it.

I haven't found that my Toho takes me significantly longer to set up than my Horseman does, but that might not be a valid comparison. But it is slower to change between vertical and horizontal format than a camera with a rotating back would be. In practice I seldom have this problem because I use a viewing frame to decide on the orientation before I even set up my tripod.

I wrap the standard assembly in a large Calumet wrap, the rail assembly in a T-shirt I use as a dark cloth and stuff both of them in a light backpack designed for 35 mm equipment. I am not specially careful about the rail assembly and so far it has held up well.

The main problem I have with my Toho is that the front rise/fall bar on occasion can wobble even though it is tightened down. I haven't quite figured out just what causes this, but removing it from the rail assembly and cleaning the slot it fits in seems to resolve the problem when it occurs.

You don't mention what is for me a major advantage of the Toho. It is lighter than practically anything else available.

Did not having rear movements on the 45CF prove a problem for you? I use rear shift and tilt often enough that it seems it would be a significant irritation to me.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Leonard-

Thanks for your comments, it definitely helps to hear about other people's experiences with the Toho. You are right, the Toho is very, very light! The Toyo is in the same ballpark, but I believe it is about 8 ounces heavier.

I guess I still wish that there were built-in levels. I am often trying to work somewhat quickly out in the woods, and I am already almost strangling myself with my meter, loupe, and framing tool all tangled around my neck, so I am hesitant to try to keep track of a torpedo level also. Fortunately, leveling is less important in the close-in nature shots I typically take than it would be in the architectural photography you are doing.

I haven't yet noticed any play in the rise/fall assemblies as you mention, but I will keep my eye on it!

Mike-

Yeah, if you like to be able to do rear movements then the Toyo is not for you. I really didn't miss it for my nature photography, although I am enjoying playing around with rear tilt for my wide angle shots (following Jack Dykinga's suggestion that the distortion it creates can be good for emphasizing the foreground subject).

Octogenarian

"The common claim that the Tachihara and the Shen Hao 4X5 wooden folding flatbed field cameras are a better deal at the price point".

I have owned/used both of those cameras and I can verify that statement. A plastic camera, with no rear movement capability, that is now priced above the Shen Hao and Tachihara, is not a bargain. I frequently use rear tilt backwards for photographing near-far relationships in the field. Among other drawbacks, the lack of that movement capability on the Toyo CF was the main reason that I decided against purchasing the camera when it was first introduced at the low $400 introductory price.

Hi,

I own a Toho and like it, though it is the first LF camera I've owned.&nbsp;
    I've rented a Linhof once before, but that's the end of my experience with other
    LF cameras.

Helpful hint #1:&nbsp; I know that the original Toho came with a protective
    pouch for the bellows unit(?), but this is no longer shipped.&nbsp; I found that
    the

Zing Extra Large Protective Stuff Pouch
    fits the bellows perfectly (but
    weighs 10oz according to B&H).

Helpful hint #2:&nbsp; Most reviews I've read state that the ground glass
    that comes with the Toho is&nbsp; decent.&nbsp; My eyesight isn't great, so I
    recently decided to purchase the Maxwell HI-Lux screen.&nbsp; I haven't received
    it yet, though sometime back I had an email discussion with Leonard Evans who
    also owns one of these screens.&nbsp; Bill Maxwell told me that he is now
    shipping extra screws + instructions for how to mount the screen to the Toho
    camera.

Regards,

Justin

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Although I am relatively new to LF, I own a Toyo 45CF and the Toho. I agree with a lot of what has been said (if you can actually read it all!). The Toho is a monorail. It acts like one and gives you the same control. I slightly lubed all the mating/sliding surfaces and the knob threads. Yes, the focus tightening knob does introduce some play when loosened, so I just crank it open very slightly to leave a bit of drag on the geared focusing mechanism, and when I tighten it, it is stays in place. It takes a bit of finesse, but isn't that why we use these LF cameras? I've since bought an Ebony for my foldup box needs, so the Toyo is on the market. But it was a good intro and done well. I'm sure Harley will add whatever I left out.

I also own a Toho. I think most any camera you can buy has its own idiosyncrasies. All of them are going to take some getting used to.

In my case I figured out right away that in order to focus you had to maintain some friction in the lock. It seemed just a natural way to do things. Perhaps I worked with machine tools too long, but this isn't uncommon with precision manual tools.

I also figured out right away that I needed it to have spirit levels. I sent a drawing, some replacement levels I got from Calumet, and my Toho bellows assy. to S. W. Grimes and had him make some and mount them to the rear standard:

http://www.skgrimes.com/index.htm

Should anyone decide to do this, I suggest that the best place to mount a spirit level assy. is on the front (lens side), lower, right (side you load film holders from) of the rear standard. Mine is on the front, upper, right, and sometimes I can't get high enough to see it. Oh well - learn from my mistake.

Finally, I figured out quickly that I needed an Arca-Swiss quick release plate. I bought one from Really Right Stuff that was close, and had a local machine shop modify it (it has to be a bit off center to allow the rise/fall brackets to clear the B1 as you move the standards back and forth).

I find that setup is a breeze now. The rail slides into my B1 and is secured with a twist of the wrist. The front and rear standards drop into place easily (I very seldom change my mind about vert/horiz after setup). I can plumb and level the camera (that is, the film plane) easily and quickly.

Finally, Leonard also convinced me that I should have a Maxwell screen. I sent my bellows assy. to Mr. Maxwell and let him install it - and that's why you guys can buy kits (screen, longer screws, instructions) from him today -- My Toho was the guinea pig.

I'm just saying... One of the joys of a metal camera is that it's so easy to modify it to make it do what you want...

And before anyone asks - it's been a few years now, I don't know where my drawings are for these mods, or any part numbers. But if you know it *can* be done, it's much easier to find a *way* to get it done ;-)

Bruce Watson

I recently bought a Toho. I have done MF (Mamiya 645) photography for years. I do most of my photography in conjuction with hiking. My M.O. for using the 645 was to put the camera with my favorite lens on the tripod and carry it over my shoulder. I would then stop and changes lenses or backs as the need arose. Before I bought the Toho, I figured I would do most of my hiking with the rail attached to the tripod and just mount the bellows when needed. I did this a couple times. But for the last few hikes I have kept the whole camera - rail, bellows and lens - on the tripod. It actually weighs less than the 645. It feels relatively secure. I have a Gitzo Composite tripod (G1227) so the combination is very light.

Does anybody else hike with the whole camera attached to the tripod?

I bought the Toho for backpacking and traveling. My everyday camera is an Arca. I have not used a Toyo, but my prior camera was a Wista DXII, so I will use that as a comparison to the Toho. I would agree with most of the points you make. As others have mentioned, the focusing wobble is very easily overcome by keeping some pressure on the with the tightening knob. I find the setup of the Toho to be as quick as the Wista. With a little practice, you can get the camera on the rail pretty darn fast. Changing lenses is definitely a slower process that the Wista or the Arca, but it really isn't that bad. Switching for horizontal to vertical is slower, but again, not that bad. I do not find the Toho to be more complex to operate, however. Perhaps it is because I already use the Arca, which is also a rail camera, but I find the Toho controls to be much more intuitive and precise than the Wista. For me, it is much easier to use.

Overall, I am very happy with the Toho. I love a rail camera, it is very light, yet rigid and for a light camera, has a long bellows draw. I can use an 80mm out to a 450mm (with a top-hat extension board).