Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First trip to Yellwostone

First trip to Yellwostone

I'm making my first trip to Yellowstone and was wondering what to expect.I'm going in late October. I've been to Yosemite many times so i know where the sun will be at what time but don't know Yellowstone.I'm going for a week,do I need a full week in Yellowstone??

Re: First trip to Yellwostone

Eric Biggerstaff

October is a shoulder month so you will have fewer visitors, nice light and possible storms (be prepared for snow). A full week just in Yellowstone may get a tad burned out but you have the Grand Tetons right next door so you should not run out of things to set up on. I wish I could have a full week with my camera (alone) up there! One of these days................
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I love fall in that region because the crowds have mostly gone. But the days are getting quite short by October, and there can be lots of of muddy, early season snow.
    Yellowstone is nice for the huge untouched backcountry. I like the tetons for playing in steeper mountains.

Do you need a week? I've been there five or six times and wish I could just move there permanently. Between there and the Tetons just to the south, there is a whole career of possible images and locations.

Enjoy!!!!
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Les

@OP

If you are staying at a motel the temps shouldn't concern you too much. I went there in early Oct (1st week) of 1998 and woke up and it was in the low 20's - camping in a vehicle. Needless to say I was staying in the motel the next night. Yes, you could expect some snow dusting, particularly at higher elev....oh, did I mention the park is at 8000' ? But, the upside is that the crowds will thin to a trickle....at least hope so for your sake.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    I'm making my first trip to Yellowstone and was wondering what to expect.I'm going in late October. I've been to Yosemite many times so i know where the sun will be at what time but don't know Yellowstone.I'm going for a week,do I need a full week in Yellowstone??
    Having worked there for 5 summer seasons and 2 winter seasons, one week will only whet your appetite. It will be cold in the mornings, but hopefully that will mean foggy mornings and much frost, and a decent chance of snow. The park will be relatively quiet when it comes to visitation. There are so many areas to see and photograph. Enjoy!

hi , i find change of season or shoulder months the best time to photograph , In Australia Summer is the worst time IMHO harsh light bigger crowds i could go on , All my favourite shots are spring and autumn , As you know we don't really have a winter so i shoot a bit of b&W in these months . Oh sorry i am rambling . I love these change of season months they are awesome no matter where where you are

SF Bay Area 94303

Don't miss Mammoth Hot Springs from the top in the Morning with the sun coming up.

OK ,thanks.