Thread: Large Format Photography Australia Blog is now The Large Format Blog!

Large Format Photography Australia Blog is now The Large Format Blog!

Hello all!

I've just relaunched my blog with a new name and new design. You can find it at: http://thelargeformatblog.com/

I'm planning on bringing more international content onto the site and so if anyone is interested in submitting any content, that'd be most welcome! But anyway, have a look if you fancy.

Cheers!

welly

Re: Large Format Photography Australia Blog is now The Large Format Blog!

Awesome! Well done. I will be looking forward to more international content!
    -Adam

Does this roll all former content into your new blog?
    Tin Can

Yep! All the old content is on the new blog and I'll be keeping the old site running but won't be posting there any more.

Cool and I was second to like your FB page.

The more the better
    Tin Can

Thanks kindly, Randy!

Great
    Cheers Shane

Absativly posilutly great.
    but black printing on black background is very hard printing for my old eyes.

Since you did ask for comments on the new design in your blog post about it...

If you are using Internet Explorer (i tested on v11, the newest), you do get black text on a dark grey background. In Firefox and Chrome I see black text on a white background. It looks like there are some issues with your theme regarding IE support.

There are also a variety of formatting issues with the site, regardless of browser. Particularly, the current header image (on the home page) is super tall, and pushes all of the content way down. There are some weird thing happening with your responsive design when you shrink the window width below 960px wide, the header space below the logo takes up the entire height of the window. It appears to be caused by the property .site-title a { height: 100%; }. Also, the sticky headers on the articles are annoying, especially on small screens since they rob a lot of viewing space, causing more scrolling to be required.

As an aside, it looks like you are using Drupal for this site. As a long-time Drupal and Wordpress user/developer, I don't see anything on your site where you need the complexity/flexibility of Drupal over the simplicity/ease-of-use of Wordpress. I administer several sites using both CMS, and I would definitely recommend Wordpress unless you have a bulletproof case for why you *need* to use Drupal instead. I guess you are probably "locked in" and would have to port all the content over to Wordpress, but still, it might be worth it. I would definitely consider it, in the very least.
    -Adam

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Since you did ask for comments on the new design in your blog post about it...

If you are using Internet Explorer (i tested on v11, the newest), you do get black text on a dark grey background. In Firefox and Chrome I see black text on a white background. It looks like there are some issues with your theme regarding IE support.

There are also a variety of formatting issues with the site, regardless of browser. Particularly, the current header image (on the home page) is super tall, and pushes all of the content way down. There are some weird thing happening with your responsive design when you shrink the window width below 960px wide, the header space below the logo takes up the entire height of the window. It appears to be caused by the property .site-title a { height: 100%; }. Also, the sticky headers on the articles are annoying, especially on small screens since they rob a lot of viewing space, causing more scrolling to be required.

As an aside, it looks like you are using Drupal for this site. As a long-time Drupal and Wordpress user/developer, I don't see anything on your site where you need the complexity/flexibility of Drupal over the simplicity/ease-of-use of Wordpress. I administer several sites using both CMS, and I would definitely recommend Wordpress unless you have a bulletproof case for why you *need* to use Drupal instead. I guess you are probably "locked in" and would have to port all the content over to Wordpress, but still, it might be worth it. I would definitely consider it, in the very least.
    Hey thanks for the feedback, only just seen this.

In answer to some of your comments:

Particularly, the current header image (on the home page) is super tall, and pushes all of the content way down
    This is intentional. It's a blog about imagery - I wanted to show the images BIG! It's ok, people know there is more content below.

There are some weird thing happening with your responsive design when you shrink the window width below 960px wide, the header space below the logo takes up the entire height of the window
    Intentional as well. From looking at the Google analytics of my previous blog, few people were viewing the site at less than 1024px and so I didn't want to spend the time formatting the site for the handful of users who do view the blog on a small screen. Those who are using mobile see the mobile view (which is currently a little bit broken, I'll get onto it this week).

Also, the sticky headers on the articles are annoying, especially on small screens since they rob a lot of viewing space, causing more scrolling to be required.
    See above - not many people look at the site on a small screen. The sticky headers work fine on larger screens.

I'm a full time Drupal developer since version 5 (about 8 years now) I have no good reason to use Wordpress! My old blog was a Wordpress blog and I had been meaning to port it over to Drupal for a long time, which I finally did with this blog.

There's definitely some outstanding issues with the blog - I got your Pm, thanks! I know about some of the links going to the old blog which I'm slowly but surely fixing. As it's just a hobby site that doesn't give me any financial returns, I don't have loads of time to spend on it. It's by no means perfect but I'm getting favourable feedback generally so something is working!

Thanks again!

welly