Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Semi-Centennial casters

multiplex

Re: Semi-Centennial casters

garrett

was it eddie gunks ?

Eddie sold me casters for my Semi-Centennial stand a couple of years ago. I just pulled one off and measured it as best I could with a ruler since I am without a caliper myself.

Jonathan

That's 2 parts, the insert is the outer part and the inner pin which is pushed into the outer.
    Tin Can

I thought so, but I couldn't get the sleeve off and didn't want to force it. This was how Eddie sold it to me, so I don't know if he got them this way or if he added the sleeve afterward himself.

J.

They are a tight fit, with a wire ring that is pushed past that dedent.

A large flat screwdriver will separate the 2 right after you slip and poke a hole in your hand.
    Tin Can

Photojournalist/Artist Poseur guyatou's Avatar

Thanks, Jonathan! That's what i was looking for. Just gotta find out where to get those caps.

I sent a message to Eddie several days ago, but didn't hear back -- the last "for sale" post he had about those casters was several years ago, so they may be gone by now.

OK, I think I've found the caster socket (the cap on the end of the caster's stem). It's 9/16" outside diameter, and just about 1-1/2" long (or, at least it says it accepts connectors up to 1-7/16" long).
    http://apollocaster.com/store/916-od...0-p-89300.html

And this is the caster itself, or pretty close. The wheel is 2-1/2" tall, and has a "grip-ring" connector that works with the above receiver socket.
    http://apollocaster.com/store/212-x-...8-p-67538.html

The gray ones seem to be best for low weight and hardwood floor applications. Dividing the stand and camera weight by the three casters, I'd bet there's not more than 20 lbs each, way less than their max capacity.

I'm hoping the stand's brake will work since I'll have wheels that are the right size. The ones I got at lowes were 3", so the brake didn't reach the floor.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll report back how these work once they are delivered.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by guyatou View Post
    I'm hoping the stand's brake will work since I'll have wheels that are the right size. The ones I got at lowes were 3", so the brake didn't reach the floor.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll report back how these work once they are delivered.

I own 7 + complete Century Studio Rigs from Master, Imperial Studio Unit, 10A,8A and so on and after installing new wheels from 2" to 2 1/2" including the Gunk Greys, I can say I NEVER found that the break worked w/ these wheels. No trouble though as all that's needed is the round heavy felt pads (the ones that go under chair or table legs). One pad stuck to the bottom of the break base w/ give you the extra distance needed to lift the rear end of the stand up and lock it in that position.

BTW- This has been my personal experience w/ the various models I have. This may not be true for other folks stand breaks.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 19-Apr-2015 at 09:01. Reason: add

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Thanks for the link on the casters. I need to do mine for my stand. I can't wait to move to a home with wood floors! My Century stand on carpet is no fun with the 8A on it especially with the big 18" Verito that I got from Louis! Thanks again for a great deal on a great lens. Now if I can just find another stand reasonably close to me for the 14 x 17 studio camera I built I'd be set!

Louis -- thanks for the tip. I have some of those felt pads somewhere, I'll give that a try. And Jim, glad I could save you a bit of leg work tracking these down.