Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tank Developing LF Negatives?

Re: Tank Developing LF Negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

As posted elsewhere, I am having great results using stand, which means stand.
    Yup, stand (or hopefully sit) in the dark for an hour..........or longer. Whatever cranks your tractor-I'll do it my way. L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Yup, stand (or hopefully sit) in the dark for an hour..........or longer. Whatever cranks your tractor-I'll do it my way. L
    I hope so, why would you do it any other way?

Each of us is simply describing our way. There is no correct way. There are wrong ways however.

OP asked, "My question is... is it possible to hand develop 4x5 negatives in tanks? If so, is it particularly challenging? "

Perhaps 'Yes' is the answer...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Not sure where you are coming from.

You flip a switch in the darkroom and drink coffee in your kitchen for an hour. Timing power switch. By the way the results are worth the effort if you did have to spend 45 minutes to an hour in the darkroom.

Typically I develop sheet film in open tanks in the dark. Doesn't work as well if I open the door or flip the switch....

Depending upon the objectives of the pre visualized negative and the scene I could tray develop with any number of pyro or standard developers, tank develop with burst conventionally or tank burst with stand or semi stand. With stand development I get a heck of a lot more effective film speed with attenuated accutance. With 8x20, 11x14 or 12x20 large PVC tubes work marvelously with highly diluted pyrocat. I am convinced that having more developing options is a good thing.

I have allays loaded film onto hangers then submerge them in open tanks of chemistry,agitate ,,(the dip and dunk system),,,all in a pitch black room..works for me, and be creative in the way you agitate,,it makes a difference,,,truly a hand dev. neg.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonG View Post
    I have allays loaded film onto hangers then submerge them in open tanks of chemistry,agitate ,,(the dip and dunk system),,,all in a pitch black room..works for me, and be creative in the way you agitate,,it makes a difference,,,truly a hand dev. neg.
    Yup, works like a charm.......L

I use open tanks as well.I have 2 sets of tanks big ones and small ones ,i can get 8 in the small tanks 12 in the big tanks using film hangers. Agitating with the dip and dunk method.