Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would This Virtual View Camera App Idea Interest Anyone?

Re: Would This Virtual View Camera App Idea Interest Anyone?

Don't listen to those curmudgeons. Some of them are old enough to remember hand-cranked telephones and party lines. Probably told ole Alex Bell the same thing. They will not be customers anyway, unless you can include a rotary dial app. They are so old they can only see in black and white, and the computers they had were made of wood

Sounds like a good idea...but can I ask what the advantage is of having it in the different formats like 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 etc?

Can't the user just use basic mental calculations to figure out equivalent focal lengths? (like have the default image on the screen with "150mm@ 4x5, 300mm @ 8x10" etc on it?

Perhaps having the panoramic crop function, but I see little point in having the aforementioned formats? Or am I way off?

I'd definitely use something to see how an image would look under a certain filter, but I understand there's a lot of variables at play like film type, developer etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Don't listen to those curmudgeons. Some of them are old enough to remember hand-cranked telephones and party lines. Probably told ole Alex Bell the same thing. They will not be customers anyway, unless you can include a rotary dial app. They are so old they can only see in black and white, and the computers they had were made of wood
    I agree. I'm 51 but still live in the 21st century and would really hate to give up my handy, always with me, multipurpose ultra-portable, Internet enabled computer/photo sketch pad, that also happens to have a VOIP ap for making phone calls.

I wasn't aware of the Hueless ap, though. That looks really sweet and indeed combined with Pocket Light Meter meets most of these needs. One thing I don't see on the web page though is the price - if it's pretty affordable I'll be getting that one!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    I'm certainly more young upstart than curmudgeon.

I also stand by the opinion that I presented earlier that the functions are readily available in other [proven] Apps.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

(Shrek)

I do actually use a couple of tools that I've found with free apps (Android), such as a bellows factor calculator (Photo Tools free version). I find it convenient to have my lenses on a list and simply dial in the bellows extension. I installed another app from a member here which does a B&W rendering of a scene, though to date I've never felt the need to actually use it. I've searched for a viewfinder app but all of the Android ones have far too many features and cost far more than I'm willing to spend. I don't know if I would actually use it, as I rarely have to move my tripod after set-up (I usually guessed field of view pretty spot-on before I plant the tripod).

I think there is a small, niche market for a one-tool-does-most of the view camera work that we use in the field. If the price were low, and it were available in Android, I might go for it. Especially if you build in exposure & film type to output a projected histogram. Building in Zone system would be a functional equivalent, I suppose.

Haven't updated it for a while.... but I built the zone system into PhotoToolsPro. It's there... (at least for iPhone).

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGard View Post
    Sounds like a good idea...but can I ask what the advantage is of having it in the different formats like 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 etc?

Can't the user just use basic mental calculations to figure out equivalent focal lengths? (like have the default image on the screen with "150mm@ 4x5, 300mm @ 8x10" etc on it?

Perhaps having the panoramic crop function, but I see little point in having the aforementioned formats? Or am I way off?

I'd definitely use something to see how an image would look under a certain filter, but I understand there's a lot of variables at play like film type, developer etc etc
    Alex,

The advantage is that you don't have to think or calculate anything (for those that aren't good at mental calculations) and to just be able to hold the phone up to the scene, chose the FL from a list of "my lenses" and then the format from "my camera" and the app will give you the appropriate visual on the back, like a mini GG, you then walk around till you find your composition you like, and then set up your camera in the spot you found by walking around with the app/camera phone and makes life a lot easier and you don't have to think and can devote your time to finding the art.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty good at determining FL and format by eye, but a quick composition check to see if there's a "better angle" without having to try and hold the giant 8x10 (or bigger) while viewing the scene is a huge advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Alex,

The advantage is that you don't have to think or calculate anything (for those that aren't good at mental calculations) and to just be able to hold the phone up to the scene, chose the FL from a list of "my lenses" and then the format from "my camera" and the app will give you the appropriate visual on the back, like a mini GG, you then walk around till you find your composition you like, and then set up your camera in the spot you found by walking around with the app/camera phone and makes life a lot easier and you don't have to think and can devote your time to finding the art.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty good at determining FL and format by eye, but a quick composition check to see if there's a "better angle" without having to try and hold the giant 8x10 (or bigger) while viewing the scene is a huge advantage.
    From the above "The advantage is that you don't have to think" and therein lies the problem. There is far to little thinking being done.

That is good info. Thank you! Setting the aspect ratio will be a simple procedure, and now I will use a pull down list to cover multiple formats. I am working on a storyboard now.
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos

Thanks.
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos