View Poll Results: Should we create a new sub-forum for Studio/Artificial Lighting Techniques?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 66.67%
  • No

13 24.07%
  • I am currently doing studio work in large format

19 35.19%
  • I do LF portraiture in the studio

19 35.19%
  • I do Small objects – table top work in the studio

14 25.93%
  • I photograph large objects in the studio

5 9.26%
  • I photograph Very large objects (e.g. vehicles) in the studio

0 0%
  • I do Architectural work augmented with artificial light

4 7.41%
  • I currently do NOT do LF studio work

7 12.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Should we create a new sub-forum for Studio/Artificial Lighting Techniques?

Poll: Should we create a new sub-forum for Studio/Artificial Lighting Techniques?

We have had a couple of suggestions for new sub-forums, so we thought we’d get some data on the level of general interest and potential participation.

Re: Poll: Should we create a new sub-forum for Studio/Artificial Lighting Techniques?

Only 16 people do LF studio work with artificial lighting?

Re: Poll: Should we create a new sub-forum for Studio/Artificial Lighting Techniques?

fyi, I voted "yes" but my name has not appeared on the list...

--Darin

Yes I do, with hot lights only. I was given a nice light tent which is fantastic , and I have learned how to get to about 1: 1 size on very small objects.

Aside from power required for LF, ULF, light is light, I encourage. People to be safe and do what looks good to them. I don't think we need to try to cover it on this forum.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Somehow, I missed this thread.

My biggest problem is studio work with ULF, LF and anything these days. I did better 15 years ago with 2 Totas. In frustration I bought more gear. See below.

I also want to shoot urban and forest with giant flash bulbs, I have been collecting them for use. One astute member dropped in and gifted me one very large amber flash bulb, which is so pretty it is now a display, too rare to use.

Peter De Smidt has been very helpful, as he recommended I find, read and follow Mortensen's 'Pictorial Lighting' book. I got it this week. Mortensen is concise, he identified my problem in 1935 and shows the solution. I will be implementing his ideas about lighting next week.

I think this thread got lost in the mumbo, perhaps it needs some bumps, perhaps all our experts know it all and don't see the need, or only shoot outside. Hard to say.

To repeat I would love this new sub forum.
    Tin Can

Forgot to vote as well, I do LF nude work, so I didn't count that as "portraiture" so I selected "large objects" although the models are not often "large" they are smaller than cars and bigger than faces.

I use strobe lighting, soft boxes, reflectors, and beauty dishes generally.

Yes. -That would be my vote. However can't vote on tapatalk, so will have to be whenever I get onto the PC.

I do shoot LF portraits with speedlights. So would be fun to see what else is being done!

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Yes. -That would be my vote. However can't vote on tapatalk, so will have to be whenever I get onto the PC.

I do shoot LF portraits with speedlights. So would be fun to see what else is being done!
    Well I think this isn't really about image sharing, it's about problem solving and ideas?

You'll have to come to a show to see the good stuff

I think it could be helpful to share ideas, tips and techniques specific to artificial lights in the studio. Lighting and lighting control in the studio is a huge subject. I enjoy it and wish I was better at it. I use hot lights, classic fresnels, softlights, flags, scrims, etc. Always a fun time.