Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting 4x5 for an architect.

Question Shooting 4x5 for an architect.

I'm writing a contract for a project to shoot an apartment building an architect friend has just completed. My plan is to shoot the building with b&w film rather than the usual digital. My questions have to do with what I should be delivering to the client.

The bulk of my architectural work has been on digital and I simply hand over a DVD or flash drive with the files on it (which is always a very dissatisfying experience).

If I shoot film, what am I expected to deliver? Scans? Prints? Negs?
    What is (or was) the industry standard?

Thanks in advance!

Randhir

Re: Shooting 4x5 for an architect.

Files. Color files.

Randhir,
    Will these photographs be used for marketing purposes, or simply a documentation for your friend(the architect)?
    To be perfectly honest, unless (the client) was SPECIFICALLY asking for "black and white photographs", I would be shooting color film if I did not use digital from the start. It is easy enough to convert an original color shot to b/w in post production, and one shot w/o a need for "second" takes or variations could potentially give you that option. Starting in black and white, no color option whatsoever, does not give you that choice.

just my 2¢

-Dan

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by bomzi View Post
    I'm writing a contract for a project to shoot an apartment building an architect friend has just completed. My plan is to shoot the building with b&w film rather than the usual digital. My questions have to do with what I should be delivering to the client.

The bulk of my architectural work has been on digital and I simply hand over a DVD or flash drive with the files on it (which is always a very dissatisfying experience).

If I shoot film, what am I expected to deliver? Scans? Prints? Negs?
    What is (or was) the industry standard?

Thanks in advance!

Randhir
    I will add one important thing to Dan's observations - You need to have a detailed conversation with your friend/client and find out what your client needs. That is the only factor that is important - keep in mind that almost any marketing use for the photography will involve web/digital. I would (and do) shoot digital and convert.

Preston Birdwell

Plus 1 for determining exactly what your client's needs are.

Does he want general or specific views of the building?
    Does he want images of specific architectural details, such as facades, stairways, roof lines, etc.?
    Will he need images showing the grounds and the building?
    Does he plan to use the images for web and/or print?

While digital camera images will work, the view camera, with it's ability to control shape and perspective would give you more artistic freedom, and you will spend less time correcting unwanted convergence in post processing. Black and white would certainly work, but I'd suggest using color film. As has been said, converting to B&W is fairly straightforward.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

The O.P. asked what the "industry standard" is. I assume that's in preparation for a discussion and contract with the architect.

The industry standard is files period. No client these days has any idea what to do with anything but files except HABS/HAER.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

One would think the architect would know what he wants and can tell you that. On the other hand, architects can sometimes behave like, well... architects!
    (Sometimes they can be experts at making simple things complicated.)

When I did architectural work, when shooting film, you'd give the Architect the chromes. If negative film, then the negatives, so make sure you shoot duplicates for yourself. Today, I assume you'd give him the digital files off the chromes/negatives. They could then order prints if needed from the negatives, but the final use will be the determining factor of what they'll need. Make sure you shoot enough to provide what they'll want and shoot both B&W & Color (digital if you prefer since it's easier with the color balance). I stopped shooting architecture when I got tired of being a loan company to Architects!

Finished work.