Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternatives to seamless "paper"

Re: Alternatives to seamless "paper"

*sighs*

Get paper. Hang as usual. Then get plastic sheets - acrylic or even plexy. Drop them on the floor where paper already flat. Affix with tape. Light properly for white background. That will last forever, until someone scratches it with furniture or with freaky metal heels. Then you toss away damaged sheet, and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    *sighs*

Get paper. Hang as usual. Then get plastic sheets - acrylic or even plexy. Drop them on the floor where paper already flat. Affix with tape. Light properly for white background. That will last forever, until someone scratches it with furniture or with freaky metal heels. Then you toss away damaged sheet, and repeat.
    Once again you have simple solution. This I can do.

Now I need to find freaky metal heels and owner.

12 years ago I shot fashion with D70 here, it was not so crowded then, no darkroom. I simply pulled paper roll down to floor and then out 12 feet and taped, but heels always ruined paper and PS was PITA.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 12-Apr-2015 at 16:44. Reason: add fashion
    Tin Can

Yep. I hate seamless backroungs. Even paper always getting dirty.

(trick with plastic sheets - learned it from one of studios in Russia i used to rent for workshops quite a bit)

Have a look at a material called Translum, made by Savage. It's a translucent plastic, about twice as thick as a shower curtain. Easy to cut, cleanable. I really prefer it over paper.

When they were remodeling our house, they used some form of material to cover the outside of the house (in black), and they used some of this material inside as well, to "laminate" the walls. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like leather or a form of rubber. It's about 1/16 to 1/8 in thickness. I'm thinking that maybe I can use some of the white material for my purposes. Would anyone know the name of that material?
    --Mario

Hurley Proboard would be an option to consider:

http://hurleyprogear.com/gear/proboard

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    When they were remodeling our house, they used some form of material to cover the outside of the house (in black), and they used some of this material inside as well, to "laminate" the walls. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like leather or a form of rubber. It's about 1/16 to 1/8 in thickness. I'm thinking that maybe I can use some of the white material for my purposes. Would anyone know the name of that material?
    Your description sounds somewhat like roofing felt. If so, I'd be surprised as this is a very unacceptable use (for a home) that will result in significant damage by trapping moisture. Anything used to cover the outside of the house should be breathable (as are Tyvek and other housewraps). If your remodel was inspected, ask the building department. If it wasn't, then take a sample to someone to find out what it is (seriously).

I can rent this studio for $35/hr. for stills. It is just a few miles away from me but on the wrong coast for you.

http://www.digitalthunderdome.com/studio---rentals.html