Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is everything we write republished without attribution????

Re: Why is everything we write republished without attribution????

I try to look at participating in any forum as though we were in a coffee shop or other public space, where my comments may be heard by anyone. I do a search on my name once in a while, and once was surprised to find an entry from a funeral register we signed!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I just found my words and yours on this site.

http://newscentral.exsees.com/item/8...d0a117e2509a4d

I am not blaming this forum, as most likely this is just plain theft, or is it perfectly normal?

I see my words but not my name...
    Never looked at the small print of this site, but rest assured it is not just the internet. A while back I got a call from a friend asking me about my name in national geographic magazine (print version too). This took me by surprise as I had not been asked to contribute for the particular issue (or topic for that matter). I went to the local newsagent, had a look and sure enough, I was in it with a quote, name, etc. The "funny" thing is that the text they ran was part of an article that they had pulled from the internet and edited to suit their needs. It now also included me publicly disagreeing with the content of an article by another author whom I had never even heard of, let alone read. Upon me calling in to ask them what was happening I was eventually transferred to one of their senior editors. "We did not have your contact details, but we have attributed it to your name so it is all good" was what he had to say. Along with something along the lines that every scientist/photographer wants to be in the magazine. When I requested that they at least rectify me disagreeing with someone or something unknown to me, they said it was not possible.

End of rant, but it illustrates what happens if you publish anything, anywhere... And no, it is not just shady characters infringing on copyright, it seems to be common practice these days.

If not, what is it then?
    I will place this on my resume...I'm published

Yes, it's illegal. No, it is not something we are doing or that we condone. No, there is nothing we can do about it. It is the price of having a public say on a topic.

Now, that National Geographic story is another matter. I think I would have my attorney give them a call if they misrepresented my views, with the minimum expectation of publishing a letter to the editor and the initial request to publish a retraction. Normally, a magazine who mis-represents the views of someone they quote will publish a letter to the editor from that person, which at least allows that person to state their views. There's a way to write this to make the person quoted look good, but many ways to write it that make the person look bad. Caution required.

Rick "whose words have been found in some pretty unlikely places" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I will place this on my resume...I'm published
    At least we are not in Print...

All my images posted here contain my email for better or for worse...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Yes, it's illegal. No, it is not something we are doing or that we condone. No, there is nothing we can do about it. It is the price of having a public say on a topic.

Now, that National Geographic story is another matter. I think I would have my attorney give them a call if they misrepresented my views, with the minimum expectation of publishing a letter to the editor and the initial request to publish a retraction. Normally, a magazine who mis-represents the views of someone they quote will publish a letter to the editor from that person, which at least allows that person to state their views. There's a way to write this to make the person quoted look good, but many ways to write it that make the person look bad. Caution required.

Rick "whose words have been found in some pretty unlikely places" Denney
    Good morning Rick,

You're right, which is why I called in to see what they were thinking. The situation is a bit of a catch 22... On other occasions, I contribute to the magazine, which I would like to keep doing for the foreseeable future as it provides me with a good reference. That said, I increasingly feel that the whole NatGeo concept is well past what it started off as and am tempted to part ways with them. As a legacy of a past professional life, I am well aware of the legal proceedings that are possible as well as how to go about getting matters sorted. However, at this stage, I would much prefer to keep a low key and not ruin my commercial opportunity. I have forwarded a registered letter to someone I know near board level to request publishing an errata with regard to the quote. If the could just do that, all is fine as I am concerned. If not, which is entirely possible, I will spend more effort on finding alternative sources to work with in the future.

It's a small world, no one needs to have a lot of friends, but it is particularly important not to have enemies...

You might start working on a lawsuit against Google for using our images in their Search engine. They won in court the right to post them as a 'search' engine and performing some kind of positive public service.

What is not addressed is they strip all the metadata and Identification information from the images - including copyright notices in this information. Seems they are running afoul of US Copyright laws in this. Wish someone would go after them and force them to stop taking the information from the photographs. Still don't like them being able to post them without my permission but if they are allowed to do so they should keep my contact information where I put it with the images.

Everything? To he best of my knowledge, no one has ever found sufficient value in anything I've written to even consider pilfering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Everything? To he best of my knowledge, no one has ever found sufficient value in anything I've written to even consider pilfering it.
    It's all in your Permanent Record.

They do keep track.
    Tin Can

I just found my words and yours on this site.

http://newscentral.exsees.com/item/8...d0a117e2509a4d

I am not blaming this forum, as most likely this is just plain theft, or is it perfectly normal?

I see my words but not my name...

Did this site copy the whole forum or just select posts? I'm unable to view the whole site because I have noscripts and ghostery running on my internet browser