Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Bang for the buck in a light meter?

Drew Wiley

Re: Best Bang for the buck in a light meter?

The premium spotmeters like the Pentax and Minolta have multicoated optics, the cheap ones like Soligor apparently do not. This can make a difference in the
    reading if pointed toward strong light due to flare. I always use a deep rubber lens shade on my meters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Atracksler View Post
    Looking for a light meter...
    What to look for depends on your workflow. If you need incident, there's no point in looking at a Pentax Digital 1 degree Spotmeter. But if you are implementing a variation on the Zone System, a 1 degree spot is pretty much a requirement.

I'm using a modified Zone System, and a Pentax Digital Spotmeter. For this duty, it works a treat, not a better spotmeter out there AFAIK. There's a fair number of these out on the used markets. The Zone VI modification for this meter is really nice to have. Just sayin'.

Bruce Watson

+ 1 on the Gossen Digisix. I use incident primarily, and it works well. Very small, accurate. Then there are the phone apps, they cost only a few dollars and they work! Great back-up too.

The lumu (http://lumu.eu/) looks interesting. It is an incident dome that plugs into a phone's audio jack, and then is read by an app. I have used the Lumu app without the dome for reflective metering, and it seems reasonably accurate. Not as accurate as my Pentax meter, of course, but a great back up.

Speaking of apps, I like Pocket Light Meter for iPhone: there's a free version. It's reflective-only however, but in a pinch it's great.

The Luxi app for iPhone is also free, and you can buy an incident attachment for approx. $20.00. (I haven't tried it)

The Lumu looks nice but costs as much as some light meters.

hacker extraordinaire

I am still looking for a good meter app for my Galaxy android phone. I don't understand why you can't just take a picture and have it display the EXIF data.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Late model Weston Master. Send it to Quality Camera in LA to bring it up to standards.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re - Zone VI modified Pentax 1 degree digital spot meter vs non modified Pentax meter

In any case, the Pentax digital spot meter is one of the best and easiest to use spot meters for zone system photographers. If you're not going to use the zone system or some variation that requires use of a spot meter, get something less specialized.

First of all, I don't wish to start a major debate regarding this issue. There are people with very strong feelings about Zone VI modified meters vs straight Pentax (non modified) digital spot meters. Either choice is really OK.

These meters are primarily available in the used market. The Zone VI modified meters usually bring a premium. However, some photographers who have done careful testing question the added value of the Zone VI mods.

If you chose a non modified meter you can easily make a zone scale similar to that found on the modified meters using a p-touch label machine. The zone scale is really helpful for placement of zones once a spot reading is obtained.

Before making your choice, google the first line of this post in bold above. You will find varying opinions and articles on the matter. In particular, the article written by Paul Butzi, and his follow up article, are worth reading.

I've owned both meters and never felt there was any significant difference in performance when compared against other meters and sources of guaranteed calibration. Even using the modified and non modified meters side by side under typical conditions, I never found significant differences in readings. That's my experience over many years of practical use.

Most importantly, with any used Pentax digital spot meter, is finding one in the best possible physical and working condition. That includes a very careful check that the internal LED readout numbers and the 1/3 and 2/3 stop indicators are bright under normal working conditions. I've seen meters where these readouts have become quite dim. Further, if the lens is scratched, its coating compromised or the meter casing banged up, stay away, even though there's no mechanical readout. Be sure the activation switch is responsive and not erratic. The battery compartment should be clean, no sign of past leakage.
    Last edited by DennisD; 10-Apr-2015 at 19:42. Reason: Added thoughts
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

My Pentax digital spot meter still works perfectly, except that it came from the factory ONE STOP OFF! I never bothered to get it corrected, but now I use it so little that I can't remember if it's one stop under or one stop over.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Price performance panache winner lunapro SBC
    Minolta auto spot cheap but pretty big and good

If super cheap a bewi quick

3 more choices