Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another store bites the dust

Dave Karp

Re: Another store bites the dust

Randy, I think you are thinking about this store: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141...rium-gets-boot. I was thinking of this store, which I called Altman's, but is more properly called Altman Camera, I guess: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Altman-Camera.

At any rate, sad to see the old time camera stores and the help of their knowledgeable employees disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Randy, I think you are thinking about this store: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141...rium-gets-boot. I was thinking of this store, which I called Altman's, but is more properly called Altman Camera, I guess: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Altman-Camera.

At any rate, sad to see the old time camera stores and the help of their knowledgeable employees disappearing.
    David, you are correct, I never knew of Altman's Cameras. I prefered Central Camera over anything I knew of. I used a couple service bureau's for a time, they also have gone or drastically changed.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Randy, I think you are thinking about this store: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141...rium-gets-boot...
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't heard of that store and have never even been in Chicago, but the closing of Altman's Shoes makes me more sad than any camera store going out of business. Today I can't get shoes that fit properly or aren't made in China of toxic-smelling materials. Who knows, if you'd posted that article before last December, I might have made my first-ever visit to Chicago and bought a lifetime supply of shoes.

Dave Karp

Hi Sal,

It might have been worth the trip! I guess they could have found a new location, but decided not to do that.

Randy, here is another thread on Altman Camera: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/6...a-company.html. Its funny, I always thought that my memories exaggerated the size of the store and the variety of equipment there, but I guess not! I remember as a 12, 13, 14 year old kid being intimidated by the sales people. I just wanted to look at stuff and be left alone. I was really pumped up the day we purchased our enlarger. Even riding up the escalator to the darkroom department was exciting that day.

The Chicago store I miss is Darkroom Aids, which used to be on North Lincoln Avenue west of Wrigley Field. It must have gone out of business 15-20 years ago now. I used to live in the neighborhood and would walk over often. Bought a used Honeywell Repronar there as well as some 4x5 film holders. They had these enormous process cameras and a whole room of used stainless steel darkroom sinks.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_feldman View Post
    The Chicago store I miss is Darkroom Aids, which used to be on North Lincoln Avenue west of Wrigley Field. It must have gone out of business 15-20 years ago now. I used to live in the neighborhood and would walk over often. Bought a used Honeywell Repronar there as well as some 4x5 film holders. They had these enormous process cameras and a whole room of used stainless steel darkroom sinks.

Bob
    Never knew of them. I do have a Honeywell Repronar, it was minty and I have changed it to digi copy MF. Most likely I bought the Repronar from a former worker at Darkroom Aids as he lives in the area and talked of someplace like you speak of.
    Tin Can

A camera store that had an escalator? Wow, how I live in a different time.
    I did visit a really neat three-story camera store in Prague.

And sad to see any camera store go. I fear about the future of Camera Co-op in Houston. Last time I was in there no film and slim on chemicals. They are supposedly moving locations, but man its gotta be rough. I usually try to buy a few things just to help out. Bought my one and only LF lens from them, even though it was 20% more than eBay, etc. It was in M/NM condition and I got to see it first hand...and shown exactly how to use it and all that. Nothing like a young person being taught from those of past generations. I love saving a buck, but eBay cannot replicate meeting enthusiastic people and talking photography.

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    A camera store that had an escalator? Wow, how I live in a different time.
    I did visit a really neat three-story camera store in Prague.

And sad to see any camera store go. I fear about the future of Camera Co-op in Houston. Last time I was in there no film and slim on chemicals. They are supposedly moving locations, but man its gotta be rough. I usually try to buy a few things just to help out. Bought my one and only LF lens from them, even though it was 20% more than eBay, etc. It was in M/NM condition and I got to see it first hand...and shown exactly how to use it and all that. Nothing like a young person being taught from those of past generations. I love saving a buck, but eBay cannot replicate meeting enthusiastic people and talking photography.
    It's way better to shop a lens and shutter in hand than buy online. I try to buy from friends, both at home and here.

You are doing fine, I only got into LF a few years ago, when I joined here, and I consider myself a bumbling, hobbyist, beginner. But I like it.
    Tin Can