Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another store bites the dust

Another store bites the dust

Lawrence Photo in Springfield, Mo announced today that they will close sometime in May. While their darkroom and film sections had dwindled drastically over the last few years, some things were still available and they did have a good line of lighting and studio gear.

This leaves us in the center of a range of about 200 miles in every direction to real camera stores in St. Louis, Kansas City, Ft. Smith Arkansas and a handful of others, but all at least half a day away.

They are currently having serious sales on everything in the store for anyone interested in checking their site or calling at 417-883-8300.

I will mostly miss the great and knowledgeable staff with whom I've dealt for the last four decades.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Another store bites the dust

I feel quite fortunate here in Portland. We have an excellent and busy Pro Photo Supply, and just reopened Citizens Photo offers dip and dunk 4x5 C41 processing locally and is in the testing phase to offer E6 dip and dunk.

I feel your pain.
    The is some 4x5 stuff locally as I live in a college town, but none of the larger formats which I shoot. I still support my local store by purchasing chemicals from them.
    I mail order the rest and make twice yearly jaunts to Freestyle since Calumet is pushing up the posies.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I never go to those distress sales. Far too much like vultures eating the dead.
    Tin Can

Dave Karp

Randy, I understand how you feel, but maybe they need the money.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Randy, I understand how you feel, but maybe they need the money.
    I'm sure they do and others will buy.

I didn't put them under. I buy enough LF for 10 people and I get criticized for it. Here on this forum. As if there was a shortage...
    Tin Can

Dave Karp

I can't understand why anyone would criticize you for that. You are so enthusiastic and seem to be having so much fun doing LF. If they are not happy about what you do pertaining to LF, then they are the ones with a problem.

I miss old style camera stores. Is Central still like it was many years ago? Boxes of misc. stuff, treasures to be found?

I can't understand why anyone would criticize you for that. You are so enthusiastic and seem to be having so much fun doing LF. If they are not happy about what you do pertaining to LF, then they are the ones with a problem.

I miss old style camera stores. Is Central still like it was many years ago? Boxes of misc. stuff, treasures to be found?
    Thanks David. I know I should not let unhappy people get under my skin, but I have thin skin. Actually thin skin!

I stop at Central Camera as often as possible, have a quick chat with Don the owner, never waste his time, and usually buy film. I also get a Chicago style Italian Beef right next door, cheap and great. Then a walk in Millennium Park and back on the EL for home in minutes.

The shop is the same wonderful place with all kinds of treasures. I always look at as much as possible. 2 weeks ago he showed me a nice Seneca 8x10 with OE bellows. I will most likely be there next week to discuss the Ilford Special Cut. And there was an odd little item I hope he still has, I had bought my daily limit.

I will be in that area Sunday for Chicago LF Club, we meet near Central Camera, but it's closed Sunday.

Tin Can

Dave Karp

Bringing back memories. My dad used to take me there. Also took me to Altman's, which is long gone, where I purchased my first enlarger many years ago. My dad and I split the cost actually. I still have it! Italian beef. Mmmmm.

Bringing back memories. My dad used to take me there. Also took me to Altman's, which is long gone, where I purchased my first enlarger many years ago. My dad and I split the cost actually. I still have it! Italian beef. Mmmmm.
    Altman's just closed. I never knew their vintage NOS shoe storage went 6 stories underground. They are merging the 2 Wabash EL stops into one Modern one, the street is changing appearance. What if they paint the EL white! Ugh!

I stayed at the Palmer House for $75, 11/3/2008. At Miller's, I met a lady from California in for the event and gave her my ticket to the speech. She was so excited. it was a crazy night. Miller's was packed till 4am.
    Tin Can