Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How large can I print this 4x5 scan?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: How large can I print this 4x5 scan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I think that's my definition of pixelation. Squares you can see.
    You will never see squares. That's not how either photoshop nor printer drivers interpolate.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I just moved a mounted 40x60 print (no frame) in the back of a subaru impreza. It just barely fit flat, packed in cardboard with about 1" of packing extending beyond the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by jzakko View Post
    Hi guys, I've read lots of varied responses on this topic so I hoped that providing the actual file that will be printed will get more precisely tailored responses. I'm not an experienced printer, just printing one of my shots as a gift for my brother's birthday. I'll be using uprinting.com because they have the best prices and can print very large and I really want to show off the advantage of shooting LF, but since I've never used this site I'd love anybody experienced with it to give me some feedback on the site.

What's the largest size I can print to without perceivable loss in quality? I want it to stand up to scrutiny. I was planning on doing a 40x50", how would that look?
    Going with the cheapest price and wanting it to stand up to scrutiny don't go together well.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

A couple of years ago one of my prints was purchased to be used as an award. I printed 30x40 and regretted it. The cost of framing was very high and honestly, some poor soul had to take home this giant, fragile object and find somewhere to put it. It was a corporate prize but still, I wonder if they ever actually hung it anywhere or if it just got tossed somewhere.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that 40x50 is huge especially after you frame it, even in a poster frame (ie. no matting). There are some real practical considerations to think about. I know if someone gave me a print that large as a gift I'd have a heck of a time putting it up anywhere. I'm sure it will look great but something to consider. Maybe print smaller and give it to him nicely framed and matted?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

These big sizes are awful to transport and store, but if it's for yourself and you have place on the wall for it, the bad stuff won't come up often.

I have a 40x60 on the wall at home. It was for a customer, but got damaged slightly during mounting so I got to keep it. It would never have occurred to me otherwise to bring home such a behemoth. But once it was on the wall my girlfriend and I were taken by it.

The thing to dread is printing a whole show worth of big prints and not selling them.

By the way, I've been printing the big ones with a one inch white border and mounting on aluminum dibond. Customers have been framing these in shadowbox frames without mats. The frames are simple white or black square wood moulding. They look great like this, and the frame adds very little to the size.

I happen to like the look you are describing Paul, maybe a bit more white border at that size.. We use a very rugged wood frame india inked and brace the back.. spacing the print back with walls is nice but actually I prefer just a clear or black spacer with the print close to the glass or plexi.

I am preparing to make a group of big ass prints and from a printer framer viewpoint one must be very careful as these are quite expensive and a real pain to store if they do not sell.

Lately been doing a lot of small prints and loving the experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    These big sizes are awful to transport and store, but if it's for yourself and you have place on the wall for it, the bad stuff won't come up often.

I have a 40x60 on the wall at home. It was for a customer, but got damaged slightly during mounting so I got to keep it. It would never have occurred to me otherwise to bring home such a behemoth. But once it was on the wall my girlfriend and I were taken by it.

The thing to dread is printing a whole show worth of big prints and not selling them.

By the way, I've been printing the big ones with a one inch white border and mounting on aluminum dibond. Customers have been framing these in shadowbox frames without mats. The frames are simple white or black square wood moulding. They look great like this, and the frame adds very little to the size.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    spacing the print back with walls is nice but actually I prefer just a clear or black spacer with the print close to the glass or plexi.
    Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm not sure what you mean by walls. I believe my framer has been using a 1/4" or 3/8" black spacer.

You will never see squares. That's not how either photoshop nor printer drivers interpolate.
    OK I see that. Good there's been progress.

Meanwhile my math mistake was the units... I didn't notice the display was in cm not inches.

My mom used to make pieces as large as she could fit in the trunk of the Plymouth Satellite...

As a kid I remember getting hauled off to the lumberyard where she would pick up more Gypsum board...

We use acid free thick foam to line the inside of the frames and this allows us to put the image deep into the frame.. Need a deep frame of course.. Our standard frame we have milled to our specs allow for deep placement..

We also have used the wood itself cut to thin strips and this works as well.
    Once you put walls in , you are pretty much commited to this frame.. I do this for some of my personal work but try to not do it with larger shows.
    as the walls are impossible to come out clean to get at the glass.

so ... glass goes down...place the walls along the sides.. usually glued in..then place the mounted print ontop... paper it in.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm not sure what you mean by walls. I believe my framer has been using a 1/4" or 3/8" black spacer.