Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How large can I print this 4x5 scan?

Re: How large can I print this 4x5 scan?

Quote Originally Posted by jzakko View Post
    I'm a little confused, the file image dimensions are 9262x7413. I might be mathing wrong (as an undergraduate film major, I haven't mathed in years), but if the wide side has 9262 pixels, doesn't 9262/50=185 pixels per inch? Thanks for the advice.
    Yes, that is correct. I frequently use this calculator when trying to calculate these things: http://www.rapidnet.com/~rernster/in...calculator.htm

By the way, just a bit of hopefully constructive criticism - you may want to consider cropping out, or editing out, that rope tie down that is at the very bottom edge of the frame. Not really a big issue either way, but worth considering the image with/without it. Cool image though, very dramatic high contrast.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

This one's easy. You can print it as big as you want. 50" will look great. Just make sure you're working with someone who's experienced at preparing photographs for large prints.

This image is very graphic and doesn't rely on fine detail for any of its impact. The only parts of the image with detail that will change perceptibly at large sizes are the trees; even here, the texture of the grain and the prominence of the flair stars makes this detail secondary. This is an image that's going to encourage people to stand back several feet, from which distance it will look great. If people stick their nose into it, it will look plenty good. Not like a contact print, but 50" prints never look like contact prints.

In my experience, 4x5 negatives scanned at this resolution and printed 50" look better than darkroom prints at the same size. I've seen it side by side.
    This is not to say that you couldn't do even better with a higher resolution drum scan, but for this image I don't think the improvements would be significant.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

And to reiterate what others have said, it will 185 pixels/inch, not 85. This will translate to just over 3.5 lp/mm of maximum resolution at the print surface, which is high enough to look very good.

There is no such thing as pixelation in a digital print, unless it's added as an effect. When digital images are over-enlarged, you see the opposite: pasty areas devoid of noise and detail, which look like a barbie-doll version of the world. You won't have a problem with this image at 50".

I used the page size and resolution figures to calculate, will need to double-check my math but sounds like I erred on the resolution.

But suppose I was right (suppose the original had 4250 pixels across) I would argue that there would be visible pixelation since effective resolution is significantly lower than printer resolution - that would print visible squares if you used a low-resolution file as-is... But you could solve that issue by using a fractal-based application to scale up to a printer file with same or better resolution as the printer and then you would have no visible pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Just make sure you're working with someone who's experienced at preparing photographs for large prints.
    Yep. Last winter I saw some gallery prints, mostly 20x30" or therabouts, literally for sale in a gallery, that showed noticeable pixelation from 2-3 feet away. They were black and white landscapes so I don't think it was intentional - just a poor job by the printer. They were good images that deserved better, really.

Reality is, advice here and anywhere will become very confusing the more we chat.

At some point you will simply have to print as you see best and learn as you go.

I would print a test sample at Costco, 20x30 inches for $9.00. Even if you are not one of the 71 million members, you know one.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    pasty areas devoid of noise and detail.
    I think that's my definition of pixelation. Squares you can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Big prints are very expensive to frame properly. Make sure to consider how you're going to frame it, and how expensive it'll be, before making a huge print.
    And they are hard to move. How will you transport it back from the framer? And how will you move it to your brother's place? Get a tape measure and find the narrowest parts of the vehicle you intend to use and find out if the framed piece will actually fit -- hint, it's not going to bend, even a little.

Bruce Watson

Framing/Matting will add size. if it's 40" wide you'd want it to have enough white space around it - maybe 3 to 4 inches. So let's say the thing will be 4 X 5 feet by the time it's all done.

Getting matt board in sizes over 40" wide can be an issue unless you order a 4 x 8 foot piece but think about the logistics! Can you get it through the door, into the vehicle, etc.

I needed a couple of big prints once and I wound up doing them as canvas gallery wraps. I was opposed to the idea but the guy that was framing my show wanted to try it so we did and for the show it worked out just fine. Not as sharp as a real print but the subjects were really strong and didn't depend on fine detail and the 3 x 5 foot images were really impressive and faced the door of the gallery so they were the first things people saw as they walked in! Between the printing and the mounting each one cost over $600 and moving them around was a REAL challenge.

Did I mention that the simple logistics of transporting them was a huge PITA????? Needed to borrow a full size pickup truck.

Last time I moved a painting that size, we used an old convertible with the top down and drove slow.

Econoline Cargo Vans hold 4x8 ft sheets easily, no sailing involved. I rent one when needed.
    Tin Can