Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Velvet Replacement for 4x5 Graflex Super D/ Focus GG adjustment

Re: Velvet Replacement for 4x5 Graflex Super D/ Focus GG adjustment

Mine has the slope as well. It's strange to me but i'm also curious about it's relation from the lens to the mirror to the GG.

I think they are all like that, my 2x3 and 3x4 RB are. Whats the right name for a tapered rectangle, isosceles trapezoid, which is because a non 90 degree mirror angle allows this. But it's a first surface mirror and the lens to GG distance is held to a close value regardless, as distance is distance.

It must be to save room, as Mamiya RB67 and Hasselblad are conventional.

The rear film holder focal plane must match the viewing GG FP. Too thick of felt will change that.

I found my tape, the bag had a part #! 1mm thick, this is great stuff. I have found many camera repair uses for it. Since it's glue backed polyester it doesn't shed much.

http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-FELT-06-P.../dp/B003ZCTWSG

I have a lifetime supply of 3/4" x 75 ft.
    Tin Can

Randy, So the shape of the mirror plays a part with the sloped GG angle vs a conventional slr mirror?
    Thanks for the link to that felt. It's looks like some handy stuff to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Soomuu View Post
    Randy, So the shape of the mirror plays a part with the sloped GG angle vs a conventional slr mirror?
    Thanks for the link to that felt. It's looks like some handy stuff to have around.
    The mirror shape is not important, it could be a normal or larger square, but CAN be a trapezoid because of the special angle. It's basic geometry. As I wrote, it most likely is a way to make the camera smaller. I cannot think of any other reason.

It's a highly engineered camera designed by smart people. I think all the Graflex RB series are very advanced design.

Heck, we are still using them 110 years later!
    Tin Can

Ah, understood.

Yes, i agree. Very advanced for their time and such a pleasure to use!

I used a similar sheet material on my ROC 8x10. The film holders slide in like they are on rails and the back is light tight. My sheet material came from "Michaels" for about the same price. I cut it with a paper trimmer to match the old felt before I removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    The Art Store (Dick Blick) also sells 9 x 12" adhesive-backed felt, both hard and soft/fuzzy, for a buck or so a sheet. I use a lot of this making quick lens boards--one thickness of birchply, with felt on the back edges instead of a baffle. Works great.

This, http://www.dickblick.com/products/stick-it-felt-sheets/ , is the hard variety, I think, but I'm not sure.
    And I think this is the softer one: http://www.dickblick.com/products/quick-stick-felt/

The hard stuff is easy to use; the softer, once it's off the backing and you're trying to place it, tends to stick to your fingers and stretch in ways you didn't want as you apply it, but it's more cushiony if that's what you need.