Thread: Joshua Tree follow-up

Joshua Tree follow-up

A follow-up on the Joshua tree trip coming up; where do most people stay? Second, what time to meet at Jumbo Rocks? Lastly, I have an old article about the Ranch at the Park which is open to tours; an old historic site. I am sure there are photo opportunities; I called the Ranger station, and they were very helpful.
    Normally there are two tours on Saturday. It could be arranged for up to ten people to bring in large cameras on a private tour earlier in the morning at about 7 AM on Saturday, the 29th. Cost is 10 dollars each. If a few people indicate they are interested, I will reserve it with a credit card. Thanks to all for there respnses so far.

Joshua Tree follow-up

Based on last year's group, almost everyone camped at Jumbo. There are plenty of accomodations in Yuuca Valley, few in Joshua Tree (the town), and a handful in TwentyNine Palms.

If camping, be prepared for cold and wind, and for God's sake, be sure to have plenty of fermented or mash beverages.

Joshua Tree follow-up

John, that sounds cool but I'd like to see a link to something about the ranch...what's there. etc. But I'm game..$10 to eliminate tourists (not to many this time a year I 'spect) is worth it.
    Thanks. And I'm camping...Me, my tent, my C-O-F-F-E-E pot (need it to be up and going by 7:00)

Apparently last year they had some serious wind there.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Joshua Tree follow-up

John, would appreciate adding me and a friend, Tom Drew to the Ranch trip.
    Thanks

Joshua Tree follow-up

Apparently last year they had some serious wind there.

Serious wind happens all the time in the park. Some areas more prone to it due to the topography (including Jumbo Rocks). The best sites in which to camp are those that offer protection from more than one side. Last year the site cluster and main 'gathering' area happened to be in a rather open and unprotected area, so the winds did their job. The below freezing temps at night only made the wind seem worse.

Joshua Tree follow-up

Last year's wind was ferocious! The guy in the site next to me, fortunately not one of our group, got the "middle of the night gotta go's". He hadn't bothered to stake his small dome tent. He wandered off "to go". The wind picked the tent up, with the unoccupied sleeping bag inside, an blew it away.

His rather plaintive cursing woke me. We hunted with flashlights for awhile, but gave up and he spent the night in his truck. Found the tent the next morning wedged into rocks about 150 yards away.

So did he stake the next night? Don't know, when I returned from shooting the next morning he had left.

Stake your tent!!

Cheers,
    Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.