Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clyde Butcher Kickstarter just failed :(

Clyde Butcher Kickstarter just failed :(

Tin Can

Re: Ciyde Butcher Kickstarter just failed :(

It would have had a chance if he offered some prints whether they were inkjets or otherwise. I mentioned that a couple weeks ago on his facebook page but what do I know. It wasn't nearly as refined as it should have been considering they were asking for nearly $200k.

I'm not surprised they were asking way more then what a niche documentary subject can realistically expect to get on kickstarter.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I agree, he got bad advice somewhere, or he knows it all.
    Tin Can

I was very sorry to hear news that funding failed.

While I know relatively little about the costs involved with creating a video or film documentary, it seems the goal of $200K was a bit far reaching for such a project. Long time friends and associates were behind the production and a significant amount of the documentary content has been gathered over a period of almost 25 years in this case. From the Kickstarter description, much of the cost now involves going thru archived material and converting to video.

Clearly, a great amount of the financial and personal investment has already been made. Does it really take $200k more to pull everything together ? On the other hand, it's probably easy to spend big $$$ if there's a lot of material and you're paying for top dollar production.

Clyde Butcher is certainly a man of significant talent and accomplishment. His efforts are deserving of a thoughtful documentary. I've always appreciated how Clyde's devotion to the Everglades parallels Ansel's to Yosemite. (Rest assured, I'm not comparing the two otherwise -- I consider Adams a more dynamic character - with no disrespect to Butcher.)

However, if funded, it would have been a wonderful and worthwhile project (as well as a real gift to Large Format PR).
    Last edited by DennisD; 31-Mar-2015 at 21:05. Reason: Grammar
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Re: typo in the Title (could an Admin fix it?)

The correct spelling of the name of the person is "Clyde".

Would it be possible for an administrator to correct the Title of this thread?

Re: Clyde Butcher Kickstarter just failed :(

I fixed the tytle of the thread.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I agree, he got bad advice somewhere...
    Looks like it. That kind of goal is a huge gamble. I'm working with an editor who suggested I use Indiegogo, since you get the money even if you come up short. But I'm skeptical; the site looks like a wasteland of depressingly amateurish projects.

I'm now looking at Hatchfund and Kickstarter. The former is much more heavily curated, and gives you a project manager to advise you, and claims 75% success rate. The latter is better known, has a much better site, and seems to have a better record of funding bigger projects. My friend Vince Cianni just raised over $40,000 for a photography book on KS. I'm looking for less than that, but still an amount that seems out of reach unless your project strikes a nerve and gets pretty broad support.

I'm thinking about setting my minimum goal at around a quarter what I'll need for the whole project, and know that I may have to pick up additional funding elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I fixed the tytle of the thread.
    Tin Can

I backed it and am sad it failed but, based on other similar projects, I agree that $200K was a big goal. Especially since most of the footage is "in the can" what are the remaining costs? Editing? Music rights? Distribution and marketing?