Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L O U P E recommendation for 4x5

L O U P E recommendation for 4x5

bought a cheap peak loupe for 4x5 camera.

turned out it's too dark and deep, can't really see through

any recommendations?
    was looking at schneider loupe and Wista 5x

anyone used Peak Stand Loupe 8x with Neck String?

Re: L O U P E recommendation for 4x5

Think of the image on GG - loupe - lens in eye - retina as a system similar to object - magnifying diopter - camera lens - film system. Ideally, you want a diopter that provides you with the magnification you need. There are some extra features that make loupes nicer to work with.

Most people seem to find about 4x to 8x to be the correct power. If your camera has a focusing hood (like a Linhof), you might prefer a longer loupe that will clear the hood and not require your constantly flipping the hood out of the way. You might like a loupe that can be focused to the ground glass surface, especially if you have aging eyes like me that cannot adjust focus easily. Ideally, you should be able to lock that focus, either through a stiff focusing ring or you can buy O rings or tape to lock it in position. A square loupe helps you get into the corners. And the Silvestri tilting loupe helps with light fall off in the corners.

Some people use high powered reading glasses. I used to like the Toyo. I use a Silvestri these days and like it. Have lifted loupes off the light table (Schneider, Rodenstock etc.) and those are very good as well. I preferred going loupe-less with the 8x10 till my eyesight started going to hell and I could not focus close any longer. Any well designed loupe will provide a good image with little eye strain to help you focus. The little details make a difference in how well you get along with specific ones.

Cheers, DJ

Schneider 6x Asph is perfectly bright for the ground glass,
    for the light table I'm using Schneider 10x.

Best regards,
    Martin

Lachlan 717

I use this PEAK loupe.

No issues with it, even when using f9 lenses in the trees.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Hmmm... I have the Rodenstock loupe, and the 5x cheap peak loupe (http://store-1lrxxs.mybigcommerce.co...x-15x-and-22x/) and use them more or less interchangeably. the only problem with the Peak is the barrel is clear, so has to be used under a darkcloth, whereas the Rodenstock has clear or covered, so can be used for fine focus without the darkcloth (which is not such a big deal as I normally compose under the darkcloth).

For years, I used a cheap loupe. But getting a Schneider 4x Aspheric was like a revelation. It was so much easier to achieve sharp focus.

Alternative: I use a jeweler's headset magnifier over my prescription reading glasses.

Another solution: Many years ago I had success with a pair of prescription reading glasses I asked my optition to make up. They were in my prescription and had quite a strong magnifying power. They were also a bit heavy and expensive, so I never got another pair.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The Fuji loupe is very popular with photographers. I'll bet there is a reason for that.
    Ron Wisner recommended using a linen tester, which is something that I find appealing.
    I'm currently using a Silvestri loupe and I'm quite happy with it, although the price has gone up
    considerably since I bought mine. I don't know if I'd be inclined to spend the $$ on a new one today.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Another option, and a cheap one, is to use a 50mm lens. Perhaps not the ideal tool but it works well. I normally focus by eye and pull out the 50mm when in doubt. If you have one lying around give a try.

As John mentioned, a linen tester works nicely, and packs up quite small in one's pack/kit.