Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would appreciate help with choosing a higher end printer.

Rio Oso shooter

Would appreciate help with choosing a higher end printer.

I am just starting to head down the wormhole of printing high quality images at home. I have been using an Epson 3880 printer at a college class that I am taking and I find the images incredible good. However, I have heard really bad things about the Epson 3880 and 4900. I have been eyeing the Epson 7890 and 7900 but since they are a little higher end there are naturally not a lot of reviews on them. I understand that getting a printer is a big commitment in time and money. Things like flushing the system out, general cleaning maintenance, bigger ink cartridges........ I was foremost looking at reliability. My total ouput is not going to be huge but I am to the point that I want high end quality output. I am not stuck on these models or any particular manufacturer but since I have had some experience with Epson I would like equal or better quality output.

Any help would be appreciated. I know this is a huge topic but I would like to at least investigate it.

Thanks,
    Richard

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Would appreciate help with choosing a higher end printer.

I'm surprised you've heard bad things about the 3880. I've had a couple that developed problems, but with the pro epsons, you get great tech support and warranty service. They'll ship you a new printer for free and let you send the old one back in the new box. So far the 3880 is the only printer I've had that lets me use more ink printing than clearing clogs. And I'm very hard on printers ... I let them sit for weeks or months between projects, which is really terrible for them.

I would not even consider one of the larger format current generation printers unless you'll be using it constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I would not even consider one of the larger format current generation printers unless you'll be using it constantly.
    My thoughts from researching opinions also. I'd like to get a "proofing printer" that I could use to get a print 80% as good as with a high end printer or sending it out. Also, lots of things I do (especially that I give to other people) don't need to be at 100% quality. Heck, it seems "most people" are perfectly happy looking at pictures on the Web or on their smartphone.

Rio Oso shooter

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I'm surprised you've heard bad things about the 3880. I've had a couple that developed problems, but with the pro epsons, you get great tech support and warranty service. They'll ship you a new printer for free and let you send the old one back in the new box. So far the 3880 is the only printer I've had that lets me use more ink printing than clearing clogs. And I'm very hard on printers ... I let them sit for weeks or months between projects, which is really terrible for them.

I am glad to hear that you don't have any problems with the 3880. The reason that I am asking questions in this forum is that most people here are "real" about expectations concerning equipment and don't do stupid stuff and expect things to work. The reason that I am looking for a printer is that I have projects at school and outside school and it does not take long to go through enough money to buy a printer.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    My thoughts from researching opinions also. I'd like to get a "proofing printer" that I could use to get a print 80% as good as with a high end printer or sending it out. Also, lots of things I do (especially that I give to other people) don't need to be at 100% quality. Heck, it seems "most people" are perfectly happy looking at pictures on the Web or on their smartphone.

LOL concerning the smartphone observation. I think you are right about a lot of people but I find that I can show someone a really nicely formatted quality image they get it!

Thanks guys,
    R

You need to be aware that Epson is discontinuing the 3880. B&H has them with a $300 rebate that ends on 3/31. I'm sure others also have them, but Epson shows them as out of stock. These are wonderful printers, but they need to be used.

I would suggest the metal printers over the plastic ones, which start at 24 inches... (I sort of ignore the 49xx as they are harder to take apart on d work on). They are more reliable (and accurate) than the other printers. However, using word "reliability" and large format printers, is a little over the top. They aren't, plain and simple. I know the Epson's the best and I would say that they are made deliberately to break. I don't live right next to an Epson tech supplier and the last time I had someone over, it cost $375 just to them here. Then the billing started.

I would say go right ahead, but do so with your eyes open. When the warranty is up, get a new one.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

epson always has a discount on the 3880, always.

I bought one last fall. Paper handing sucks. I have to hand hold the paper to get it to feed all the papers I've used so far. prints are great but sometimes I get pizza wheel marks for no reason.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by riooso View Post
    I am glad to hear that you don't have any problems with the 3880.
    I've had problems with them; but far fewer than with other printers. And if you have trouble under warranty, Epson will take care of you. The difference in service between Epson consumer and pro printers is night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    These are wonderful printers, but they need to be used.
    This is a really important comment. You indicate that your use will be more occasional than constant. I finally had to give up on Epson because I was using my printer only every month or so, not daily. Head clogs were constant; I spent more ink clearing them than I did printing. People who use theirs regularly never run into this, but it is a known problem for those of us who don't. Finally I switched to Canon and haven't had a single clog, ever.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Here are John Cone's printer recommendations.

The focus of this is printers for his custom monochrome inks, but many of the comments on paper handling, reliability, and maintainability will be relevant.