Thread: Got Some Freebies - Nikon LS-1000 and Microtek Scanmaker III

Got Some Freebies - Nikon LS-1000 and Microtek Scanmaker III

My brother had this surplus equipment sitting around and gave it to me along with a matching SCSI card.

I have a desktop computer running with Windows XP Home that I can install it on, and just wondering what I can look forward to...

I shoot, or have shoot 35mm, medium format (6x6, 56x72, 6x7), and large format (4x5, 8x10), and find myself choking at the price of a new scanner capable of supporting those.

For me this is just an addiction I indulge in, versus a livelihood issue.

I did do a search, and previous threads were very old (as is the above equipment, e.g. SCSI version 1).

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks,

Len

Re: Got Some Freebies - Nikon LS-1000 and Microtek Scanmaker III

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks,

Len
    Start looking for a SCSI card?

Don Bryant

Don,

He was kind enough to include an Adaptec SCSI card of the correct SCSI version,

Len

It's likely the software that comes with these, even if you received it, won't work on newer computers. But that is no problem--just use Vuescan, which will certainly support both those scanners through the SCSI card. You will also have to find a driver for the SCSI card, but fortunately Adaptec was the most common brand and those drivers do exist for XP.

Rick "who prefers Vuescan to the Nikon software in any case" Denney

Many thanks Rick "who likes to make a point in his signature" Denney for the information on Vuescan. I took a look at their site and it would seem to fit the bill.

Having been out of town for much of the week, I finally got around to trying to install the equipment today and found that I had no spare expansion slots available, so I took out the extra sound card. Went to install the SCSI-1 card and realized it was ISA, and all the slots were PCI. And of course it is not likely that there are SCSI-1 PCI cards, as they were from different times. Or does anyone know of one?

Is there some sort of other interfaces available (ideally a USB 2.0 to SCSI-1, like that is going to happen!!)?

My brother will talk to the PC gurus from his work and see if they might have a solution.

On the other hand, he did mention he might have a spare Mac laptop...

Will advise you on the progress, else you might find a new listing in the For Sale section.

Len "who will not hijack Rick's signiature style, but just to acknowledge it this one time and thank him for his help" Middleton