Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best coastal shots west coast

Drew Wiley

Re: Best coastal shots west coast

Here's how the figured out when they were crossing the equator long ago. You bring along a hound dog and a woven throw rug (with the pattern wound around it).
    In the northern hemisphere the dog will walk around and lay down clockwise. In the southern hemisphere it will be counterclockwise. Same reason 35mm cameras
    designed for southern climes have the spool take up crank on the right rather than the left.

Hi , Maine looks good ,Will land in New york and head North to Seattle , I mean Maine

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Don't ignore Cape Ann in MA on the way to ME. Rockport and Gloucester are quite touristy but scenic nonetheless. More rural parts of the Cape are stunning. The road between there and Ispwich is very pretty, especially in Essex and to the north. Eat a fried clam in my memory.

Take a long weekend...head out early to arrive in New Harbor Maine, check into the Gosnold Arms for a night, then drive out to Pemaquid Point for a late afternoon/evening of great photography. Have a lobster at Shaw's Warf (across from G. Arms) where the g+t's are at least half g!...or make a dinner reservation at the Anchor Inn in nearby Round Pond.

Next morning, leave your car parked at G. Arms (you can leave it there for a few days) and walk across to Shaw's with your gear...and hop on the 9:00am Hardy Boat to Monhegan Island - where you've already made reservations to stay for a couple of nights (I recommend either the Trailing Yew or the Island Inn). Monhegan is small but amazing, and despite what others might say about the "boatloads of people" (not really accurate) - most of these are day-trippers, and if you spend the night its easy to walk even reasonably short distances (via a great trail system) and have virtually to yourself any number of great locations involving cathedral forests with great trees and moss, rocky/cobbly coves with great surf, high headlands with more great surf. A neat "boneyard" of bleached dead trees (great in fog!) - a couple of caves, and a rusting shipwreck on Lobster Cove on the islands south end. A nice lighthouse/museum/art gallery at the top of the island. Etc. Etc. One of my very favorite places to photograph!

...and the Gosnold Arms, while having an expensive sounding name, is actually very reasonable - and they serve a great breakfast!

Thanks for the tips , We will be moving through all the areas suggested , So now i can make a map based on some of the great advice received on this forum.

Gary, perhaps you would like to expand a little on what you're looking for in seashores. If you want unspoiled, Maine certainly fits the bill. But between NY where you are landing, and Maine, there are many other options. One obvious, but developed, area is Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and also ports like Salem, Mass. Mystic Seaport in Connecticut is something of a sailing ship museum. Newport, Rhode Island has many oceanside mansions left from the age of the Robber Barons (i.e. early 1900s). I guess I'm unhappy with too many recommendations for Maine, and none for other East Coast seashores, many of which would require less of a drive from NYC.

Almost too obvious to mention is Acadia park, which, although it does crowd up a bit in summer, is a bit quieter during the early fall (if you are into tent camping - you should check out Blackwoods Campground). Great thing about Acadia is the variety it offers...from rocky coves and cliffs, cobble beaches as well as a sandy one, plus some relatively easy to scale mountains, including the infamous Cadillac Mountain, which offers both trail and car access - with fantastic views and vantage points. You can also drive just a bit further north of this to the Schoodic peninsula, which offers some truly great photo-ops, and never seems to get that crowded.