Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Arca Swiss A Swiss Or A French Company?

Is Arca Swiss A Swiss Or A French Company?

I concur with lauding Kerry's contributions to our community. And I'll get him as fed and drunk as he wants here, as well.

Octogenarian

I'll make a wager with you Scott, If you ever do purchase an Arca Swiss monorail, with a 6X9 roll film back, and find that you are still satisfied with it after using it for six months, I'll wine and dine you at the place of your choice anywhere here in Texas (I live in Irving). You see, after the episode with the Toyo 45AII, I believe that I do know you, and I'm not worried about loosing this bet, at all.

Hi Glen,

Your sky is smaller than mine.

Aw, Jeez!

I hate it when people are able to bait me into being defensive but you went and hit the sweet spot Eugene. Look at these. Hopefully you have a decent monitor. Click on the largest size.

<a href= http://www.pbase.com/sfleming/the_good_stuff<a/>

Now tell me I'm dicking around. (for a beginner who can't settle on a system anyway)

I should have known better than to try something in HTML.

http://www.pbase.com/sfleming/the_good_stuff

Octogenarian

I took a look at your work on your website again, Scott. Since you stated that you believe that the Fuji 680 is too big and heavy, how are you going to feel about using a bulkier and heavier monorail camera, along with a rollfilm back, for the type of scenics that you enjoy doing? You stated several times on other threads that you decided that large format photography was not for you. A monorail just doesn't appear to me be the right tool for the job. That's why I feel that you're just "dicking around" (to quote your descriptive terminology).

Isn't a Contax 645 enough? I mean, that's a pretty sweet little camera.

Scott - Thank goodness Gitzos no longer have that "Made in France" sticker.

Scott,

Your original post may have set a record for the most traffic in 24 hours!

I use an Arca Swiss F-line Field for 4x5, roll film and digital back. It is a fine platform for all of these applications (at least for me). It is a VERY flexible system. For web info, try "http://www.precisioncameraworks.com"; they are authorized US repair/service center. Their web page has links to Arca Swiss info, including a catalog in .pdf file. Regarding "Orbix", it still appears in the linked .pdf catalog, and is very much available. I am considering it as an upgrade to my system.

Good luck.

John

For Frank

"So, if not having a website and taking forever to deliver new parts means a company is prospering, then dang, all those stupid companies with informative, functional websites and on-time deliveries must be really sucking wind ."

It just means they may have more product than they have sales. Also, corporate culture is convinced that the hype they dish out is more real than their products, they advertise because they are expected to advertise..Evan

Eugene, (and Frank)

Well, maybe you are right. Though I do like gear I like the image more. I have one room of my home dedicated to my office and I've now pretty much covered every available sq ft of wall space with framed prints of my work. I like getting to know them so to speak. I see ways and means of improving them or think of perspective changes or exposure improvements. I think of those images in my head that I have not been able to make happen yet. I dream of sharing them with folks who can actually see something of what I can see in them. I fantasize about hanging them in my own gallery someday with perfect lighting and adequate viewing area.

Though I enjoy the adventure of making the captures ... the print is what I live for. I don't really care what tool I have to use to get them. It seems to me I could aproach my vision most effectively with MF digital capture. 22MP would not be enough but folks who have these backs tell me that rezing them up to double size is still a better file than any scan of even 6 x 9cm could ever be. So I have the Contax 645 and I'm waiting. It is going to be about a three year wait I think. Three years till I can afford a well used probably tired 22MP Phase One. I figure whatever is the new and top of the line MF back at that time will still be at least $25k.

I used to really think I wanted to print to 30 x 40. My 16 x 24 prints have convinced me that 24 x 32 will be enough. Besides that's as big as one can go given 32 x 40 mat board and untill I have an adequate studio and many thousands worth more gear I don't evision going larger. So I only need 44MP. Untill digital comes down out of the stratosphere I will just have to content myself with 6 x 9cm. 4.5 x 6cm is just not enough. My scans are starting to look soft as Chromira prints at 16 x 20". I really enjoy crisp detail in my work and that is why I think digital capture is superior.

Will I enjoy the extra work of lugging a view camera around and setting it up and struggling with focus? No. I'm going to make it as easy on myself as I can with the improvements available over what I had with the Toyo 45 and I am hoping that shooting rollfilm will be a lot better than 4 x 5 quickloads but I don't know. So maybe you will be proven correct Eugene. I plan to have fun finding out.