Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retaining threads for lens boards......what to do?

Retaining threads for lens boards......what to do?

have a few anastigmat lenses which require retaining threads to mount on lensboards.

It seems like most people in the States take theirs to SK Grimes.

I've tried disasembling circular filters for the front filter thread/retainer - everything from 58mm to 67mm filter. The material just isn't strong enough and I've yet to find a perfect fit.

Any alternative DIY suggestions?

What size do you need and what thread pitch?

Glue? Duct tape? If those are US or UK lenses then figure the retaining ring use imperial threads not metric.

There are huge iris looking thingies that I have seen, (and have one), that people used to mount lenses.

You basically have a universal lens board. I see them on the auction site once and a while.

I have never used mine (it was part of an old lens test bench) because it doesn't look very substantual to me.

Mine has a locking screw and presumably you open the iris, insert the back element, close the iris, and lock the screw.

Has anyone ever used one?

Every now and again I can find an old piece of camera equipment when I look for it.

http://truckgenerator.com/subdomain/sueandneal/cpgortz.jpg

Rob, discuss y'r needs with Equinox Photo http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/index.htm

Neal, back in the days when it was possible to go to a camera show on Sunday, buy odds and ends and list them on eBay that evening, and have enough profit to pay for going to the show within a week after that I bought and sold one. But I never tried to use it, my cameras are all too small.

Cheers,

Dan

I've used a rubber band to retain a lens/shutter on a lensboard before. But im a bit confused by your statement regarding disassembling filters. I take it you actually need something with outside threads so as to keep the glass in the barrel. You might want to look for a thin step-down ring.

Hi there,

If you make your own lens boards, you can make the center hole an interference fit for the threads. Most lenses have a flange built into the rear of the barrel. You can find hard plastic curved washers at a hardware/plumbing supply store that can be used with screws against the flange. The washers will offset the screws enough to not touch the barrel, #2 size is large enough. If you like the look from the lens have a flange ring made.

Just a thought

Bob - I really can't tell. Somewhere between 63 and 65mm and a pitch of at least 1.0 (I don't have a pair of calipers to be precise) and 46-48mm for the second one. If there was a shop which sold remaindered threads, I'd happily sit through and work out which one's I needed. The lensboard is bigger than a Copal 3 with no retainer ring.

I didn't pay a lot for these lenses so I don't really figure I'd do myself any favours getting a new threading ring sized up. And the lens hasn't any name on it other than anastigmat and weighs 800grams - that's a big rubber band.

I don't even know if they work, so I was just going to use heat-sink compoound/thermodynamic paste.

Could I use to this to bond the lens permanently to the lensboard? If it cracks, I'm not going to tell anyone I did it.

Possibly metal filler to seal the lens in?

Guess I'm just surprised that people actually 'succeed' in getting a retaining screw for such ancient anastigmats......

Here is and interesting idea (at least to me): ever hear of J B Weld? IF there was a way to coat the threads so that this mighty material did NOT weld to the male threads then one would have made a ring with the right female threads. I don't suppose Tefflon spray would work...does anyone know of something that does?

Cheers,