Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Arca Swiss A Swiss Or A French Company?

Is Arca Swiss A Swiss Or A French Company?

Is Arca Swiss A French Company?

Or is it still a Swiss company that manufactures in France? Or do they just ship out of France?

Please, no politics. I just want to know.

Does anyone have any 'insider' info about the health of the company? I can't imagine that they are a growing concern given that the whole world seems to be in lust with digital capture. Given their unwillingness or inability to even put up a website, or a current catalogue, I have to wonder if perhaps they are so week that they could fold up and disappear at any moment.

Octogenarian

He's baaaaack!!!

Scott, didn't we answer a similar question for you on the photo.net forum a while back, when you hesitated to buy a Gitzo tripod because Gitzo was a French company?

Arca Swiss is a Swiss-French company (politically neutral). Actually, they are so strong and successful, that they don't need a website to advertise their products. They sell more than they can produce, while continuing to maintain the level of quality they are noted for.

Are you thinking of going back into large format photography?

Dang! Eugene

Wish I had a memory like that.

Thanks for your answer. Are they really THAT strong though? Not that it really matters I guess. I'd feel better going that way if there were more parts floating around like there are with Sinar and Toyo.

I'm not really coming back to LF. I just came to the understanding that MF digital capture is YEARS away for me. So I began to hanker after more MF tranny real estate. To my mind 6 x 8cm is an ideal aspect ratio and all the sq. cm. I could ever need. I wouldn't mind the full 4 x 5" but it's just too much trouble, expense and time killing to go back to. 6x9 gives cropping room. 6x7 might as well be square.

So I started to explore roll film options ... all of them .... and realized that the light portable monorail cameras are the most versatile. You just can't beat em. I DO miss the movements too. I could kick myself for selling my lenses but I don't miss the Toyo 45 A II.

We all just assumed the Buffaloes had got you...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

along the same lines, is french toast really french??

further, like film, it seems to be in serious decline. even places that specialize in breakfast don't seem to offer french toast anymore. i was going to invest in some real VT maple syrup, but if french toast is going the way of film, i don't want to end up with a lot of useless syrup on my hands (i don't like flapjacks, griddle cakes, hoe cakes, etc).

Octogenarian

Scott,

Yes, they are that strong. Arca Swiss has been around for a while, and it looks like they'll be around for a long time to come. They are a top-of-the-line large format equipment manufacturer.

Since you like the 6X8 aspect ratio, if you haven't already done so, check out the Fujifilm GX680III. That camera has all the perspective control you will need, in a really neat medium format SLR.

Knowing you, I don't believe that you will ever be happy with a any type of LF monorail and a roll film back.

Waffles.

Scott, those 6x9 Arcas are pretty expensive and a steady supply of used stuff is unreliable on eBay or dealers. You might consider alternatives like Texas Leicas - Fuji 6x9 Rangefinders and older Zeiss folding cameras.

Scott,

Just exactly what did happen with those buffalos??
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Did you mean Freedom Toast?