Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
Larger than most diffraction effects. If you're careful, you can get at least 1800 dpi of useful resolution from an Epson scanner. This corresponds to 35 lp/mm, which, it turns out, is about the maximum useful resolution you can at f32. So at f45 and above, you notice a difference.
Yeah, but notice how? Is it a 1% difference, or a 70% difference? Is it simply a loss of sharpness, does it appear like movement, or just general blurring? Can it be alleviated by a little sharpening?

I'm not using an Epson, I'm using a drum scanner with an optical resolution of 7394. The scanner won't be the limit. The lenses are excellent. The printer's dithering patten clearly will be the largest limiting factor. I'm using b&w inks, which apparently have a higher resolution, according to Cone. I'm using a high end RIP which can do all sorts of overlaying of ink for the crossover, etc.

I'm saying that I don't see any effect whatsoever until f64, not in the print. Everyone I talk to that prints, runs tests, says, yes, diffraction is a factor, but a factor small enough to be ignored.

My images are not out of focus...

Lenny