Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellows madness

Bellows madness

Hi there

Is my first post here and I have to be honest and straightforward from the beginning, I know NOTHING about large format photography, neither own one or used one ever.
    With that said, I'm looking for information about bellows, and I've been reading the forum for a couple of days and if you guys can't help me, not sure someone else can.
    My project : A large format camera SHELL, that would be filled with electronics and a DSLR, and would be used at events, kinda like you would use a photo booth, so I don't need the camera to be functional, just aesthetically pleasant

I hope you're still reading and not offended by my blasphemy but I believe if you're gonna build something you better make it look like the real thing, and you folks are artists in what you do for what I've seen here.

For the complicated part .... I live in South America, so shipping time and the costs associated with it don't make things easier. Also I don't want to spend a lot of money in a custom made bellows that is light-tight, thick fabric and all the bells and whistles. Is there anyone here that has a bellows that don't need and are willing to sell for a fair price? Where can I order one that's affordable? I know affordability is subjective, but I've seen bellows on ebay for almost $200 and living in a 3rd world country, I can tell you that's a lot of money.

I've also considered building one myself, and probably can give that a try sooner or later, but I don't think I have the patience required right now.

So, if you have one for sale, can build one, or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I'm gonna build around the bellows, so until I get my hands on it I cannot start building.

I based my idea on this website in case it helps you visualize my project better www.fotio.com

Thanks a lot for your time !!
    Carlos

EDIT: Should've added that I'm going for something similar in sizes to a 8x10 or larger, I'm open to whatever I can get my hands on and size the camera around that

Re: Bellows madness

I occasionally see intact, wooden large format cameras at antique stores, thrift shops, and flea markets. They are always in terrible condition for photography (bellows holes, etc.) but might be affordable and useful for your project. You might be able to find one in your city if you search enough.

Believe me that I've gone that route, but at least here, everything old is sold at an antique price, so way overpriced even if it's deteriorated or rough looking.
    I saw an old Russian camera for $300 here but it was too small, and the bellows were some sort of thick paper.
    The bellows is the only thing I don't feel comfortable building myself, and for me is one of the key pieces if you go for the looks over functionality like I'm doing here.
    Thanks for your comment fishbulb

In your situation,where the bellows only have to look good, how hard would it be to form some pleats in a suitable material,and contact cement them to a substrate ? Red vinyl would look classy..

Ian, I'm with you on that one, and I bought some materials today to give it a try, but is the layout that drives me crazy. That's why in my first post I stated my lack of patience, but if I keep waiting for a solution to show up on my door is gonna cost me money and my reserve of sanity.
    Any help would still be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by puntadigital View Post
    Believe me that I've gone that route, but at least here, everything old is sold at an antique price, so way overpriced even if it's deteriorated or rough looking.
    I saw an old Russian camera for $300 here but it was too small, and the bellows were some sort of thick paper.
    The bellows is the only thing I don't feel comfortable building myself, and for me is one of the key pieces if you go for the looks over functionality like I'm doing here.
    Thanks for your comment fishbulb
    You are absolutely right about equipment which ends up in general antique shops. They are overpriced and often in extremely poor condition.

Making a (square) bellows is not a difficult job UNLESS you have constraints like packing the camera in a neat transport mode! A replacement bellows never seems quite to compress to the original's thickness.

Paper is a very suitable material for bellows making. I have 100 year old bellows of paper/card material still in good condition.

Have you thought through weight/transport/dimensions? If things are to be mounted inside, a sliding box camera (replica!) might be more suitable?

Hi there
    So, if you have one for sale, can build one, or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Carlos

EDIT: Should've added that I'm going for something similar in sizes to a 8x10 or larger, I'm open to whatever I can get my hands on and size the camera around that
    From Usage Guidelines: (for sale or wanted ads) should only be posted in the "For Sale/Wanted" sub-forum, which is open only to those who have been members for 30 days or more.

Not a "wanted" post I guess. I was asking about making my own bellows, but if someone was willing to sell one I'd be interested, that's all. Remove if post is inappropriate please.

Not a "wanted" post I guess. I was asking about making my own bellows, but if someone was willing to sell one I'd be interested, that's all. Remove if post is inappropriate please.
    I believe you. Unfortunately, I want to buy/I want to sell posts during the waiting period were often hidden by too many, too often in many different ways. "To be interested to buy" is not good to announce during your waiting period - copycats would gladly follow your recipe.

Since you'd likely have to put a hole in the bellows to mount your dummy camera, making them out of something more durable may be a good idea. I made the bellows for these out of wood. It requires a couple jigs and precise equipment. If you don't have that stuff at your disposal, I guess you're out. hasselbird by vinnywalsh.com, on Flickr