Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Gore-Tex Darkcloth

Re: DIY Gore-Tex Darkcloth

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Unfortunately web ordering Ultrabounce from Cine Gear Store is a trainwreck, can't choose shipping method, PayPal link doesn't work, can't set up account etc. I left them a message-no one answered the phone-but no one has called me back and I don't see any other place to buy it by the yard.
    I got mine from them w/o any problems last year. You could also call up Modern Studio Equipment, they might sell it by the yard as well.

Drew Wiley

Rubberized AV drapery fabric is hot and heavy. Ripstop doesn't breathe either, and is so-so for being waterproof in the long haul, but at least it's light and cheap.

Years ago I made a darkcloth out of GoreTex lined with a non-slip, lightproof, but lightweight material. The outside is white, inside black and about as big a Superman's cape (it hangs to my ankles when I have it fastened around my neck). I had a shoemaker sew Velcro all around the edges so that the cloth would close up around the camera as well as fasten at the neck and around my arms, poncho-like, if I want, etc. It's small enough to roll up and strap on to the back of my lumbar pack, cool under the sun and plenty dark. It's been working like a champ for 15 years or more.

It saved my camera from a huge "sneaker" breaker on the California coast once. I was under the cloth and heard "Whooomp," looked up and saw nothing but white water headed for me and the camera from above. I quickly tossed the cloth over the camera. I got soaked to the skin, the camera was fine.

I've used it for a reflector, a rain poncho, reflector, changing bag, emergency blanket and, yes, a dark cloth. It's one of the best things I ever cobbled together.

Best,

Doremus

"Sneaker Breaker" I like that, been hit by one too. Got my Black Jacket focusing hood ove the front of the camera just in time. My Ries tripod took the hit like a champ and yes I was soaked. I bought a Gortex jacket no to long ago and one based on that it seems like Gortex would be a great material for a darkcloth.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Google suggests this
    http://www.expendables.com/ultrabounce-60-quot.html
    60 inches for 15 dollars
    Thanks. That did not show in in my searches
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    "Sneaker Breaker" I like that, been hit by one too. Got my Black Jacket focusing hood ove the front of the camera just in time. My Ries tripod took the hit like a champ and yes I was soaked. I bought a Gortex jacket not too long ago and one based on that it seems like Gortex would be a great material for a darkcloth.

Roger
    Slightly off-topic...

There are signs at turnoffs and state parks all along the Pacific coast that warn of "sneaker waves." These are the ones that'll get you wet when you're not expecting it and can be dangerous for the careless. My wife and I used to joke that they were so named because they got your sneakers wet when you didn't expect it.

Doremus

Drew Wiley

I got what might be classified as a very unique classic shot of a major NW waterfall by setting up the 8x10 almost right under it, keeping it covered by the Goretex
    darkcloth, then pulling the cloth, removing the lens cap, and popping the shutter for just one shot. Then I had to dry out the whole camera and put the lens into
    a dessication box full of silica gel for two weeks (which I had purposefully brought along). .. But back to that black/white Tyvek truck wrap idea... Grabbed a pile of it at lunch and recalled why I never opted for it myself ... it has crinkly sound which would drive me bonkers.

thanks for the suggestions--I'm thinking that I could turn the corners and sew in some small weights for working in the wind, going to place the order today or monday I think, will update.

I've sewn rare earth magnets into the edge of mine and epoxied magnets in four spots on the rear standard. So far, it works. I had superglued them on the camera and they popped off the firet time I took the camera out.

vinny--that's a great idea, but how often do you find your cloth snapping onto random metallic objects?