Thread: Recessed lens panel for Shen Hao

Recessed lens panel for Shen Hao

I've decided that I need a recessed lens panel for my Shen Hao 6x17 back set-up. The standards are just too compressed (in fact, to their limit) when using the 90mm. Shen Hao sells a recessed lens panel that is 14mm deep, but the problem is I need something more like a depth of 20mm so that the front standard clears the box-like housing of the rear standard sufficently to utilize the front rise.

Does anyone know of another brand of lens panel that would fit the Shen Hao that might be deeper? The lens panel I have measures 3 6/8" (96mm) wide and 3 7/8" (98mm) high. Copal#0.

Hope someone can help.

Octogenarian

Hi Travis,

The Shen Hao 4x5 camera uses standard Linhof Tech/Wista/Ebony/Tachihara type lensboards. The 5X7 and 8X10 Shen Hao cameras also use the same size lensboards with an adapter. However, I'm not sure that a recessed lensboard will solve your problem.

You may want to think about purchasing the Shen Hao wide angle bellows, instead. Then you can use a flat lensboard and base and axis tilts to bring the standards closer together, if necessary.

I second the Shen Hao Wide Angle Bellows. You can change the bellows out in about 60 seconds. Super simple and allows for much more aggressive movements. I use the WA bellows with my Nikon 75SW (for 4x5) and Rodenstock 45mm (for 6x7).

Thanks guys, but I already have the wide angle bellows - it was purchased along with the rest of the gear. The wide angle bellows makes very little difference when it comes to movements and certainly doesn't improve the front rise problem. The box-like housing of the rear standard physically gets in the way whether the bellows is flexible or not.

Octogenarian

Hello again Travis,

You may find it easier to just use a longer lens. Even shallow recessed lensboards make it difficult to reach the shutter controls. The deeper the recess, the harder it is to use the shutter controls.

To actually answer your question (I also shoot roll film and need super wide angles), Linhof makes a recessed panel. I believe it's 20mm deep. It comes with a cable release port and usually sells for around $159. Third party manufacturers also make similar boards for a little less money. I've found them on occassion at Midwest Photo. If you don't want to use the cable relase port on the board, then buy an "L" arm made by Geppe. It's about $12.00. Ultimately, the extra 6mm may not help much. You may have to eventually switch to an Ebony 45S or similar camera to get more movement. Good luck.