Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First camera from a beginner, NEED HELP!

First camera from a beginner, NEED HELP!

I, i'm from SPAIN and i like to star whit the LFP...

I am 25 year old student of photography and would like to enter in this world.

I want to buy my first camera to start, have seen one TOYO VIEW 45c, whit literally "Rodenstock 90mm Grandagon-N" (ATM i don't know if its 6.8 or 4.5 )

Supposedly in good condition, used only once.

the price offered me is more or less 550$ (500€)

this is a good camera to start ? It is a good price ?

watching on ebay I think is a good price , but wanted to make sure .
    Anyway , here there is not much demand and shipments from US out quite expensive(+ customs), so I do not have the same opportunities to purchase if I lived in the US ...

also, I've seen "rust" on some parts of the camera. (photos taken from the add)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	131340
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	131341

perhaps it is not rust? Can it simply dirt ?

is this important? could be cleaned or removed in any way?

supposedly has stored in his box for a long time...

Could you tell me what other damages should I look for? how must be the bellows ?

sorry if I make a lot of questions , but I am a beginner and these doubts arise , and although not much money, do not want to make a bad purchase.

thank you very much and sorry for my English

Re: First camera from a beginner, NEED HELP!

Very hard to tell if it is rust from the photos, however I think the asking price is a bit high. That camera body alone should only go for $100.or $150, so the big question is whether the lens is worth the rest of the price. The condition of the lens should be your biggest concern.

I would ask myself if this is the right camera for yourself. Are you looking for mainly a studio camera? It can be used in the field but it would be a bit of a pita. I'm saying this because my first LF camera was a Cambo 4x5 and after a few years of lugging it around, taking ages to set up/break down, I went with a field camera.

I'd echo Andrew's comments. I love my Sinar F monorail 4x5 but it weighs 3x as much as my Nagaoka field 4x5. Monorail for the studio, field camera for the field, in general.

There must be somebody in Spain using LF.

You must find him or her.

Look for a teacher or old time photographer.
    Tin Can

What sort of photography do you do??

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Very hard to tell if it is rust from the photos, however I think the asking price is a bit high. That camera body alone should only go for $100.or $150, so the big question is whether the lens is worth the rest of the price. The condition of the lens should be your biggest concern.
    thanks for the reply, I think my last offer will be $ 438 (400 €) only if it is in good condition. I may fix the lens. hope he accepts the offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    There must be somebody in Spain using LF.

You must find him or her.

Look for a teacher or old time photographer.
    thanks for the reply, in the studio where I'm taking classes, we have a LF camera. We have not yet begun to use it, next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I would ask myself if this is the right camera for yourself. Are you looking for mainly a studio camera? It can be used in the field but it would be a bit of a pita. I'm saying this because my first LF camera was a Cambo 4x5 and after a few years of lugging it around, taking ages to set up/break down, I went with a field camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    I'd echo Andrew's comments. I love my Sinar F monorail 4x5 but it weighs 3x as much as my Nagaoka field 4x5. Monorail for the studio, field camera for the field, in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    What sort of photography do you do??
    thanks for the reply,

What strikes me about the LF it's movements.
    My maximum budget is $ 550 (with lens)
    I have understood that the field camera have lower movements, and those with larger movements are more expensive, correct me if I'm wrong.

I will use this camera for "special projects", I have the digital and 35mm and medium format to "carry around" camera.

anyway, what kind of field camera recommend me to reach about $ 550?

many thanks, and sorry for my englis

Quote Originally Posted by principiante View Post

What strikes me about the LF it's movements.
    My maximum budget is $ 550 (with lens)
    I have understood that the field camera have lower movements, and those with larger movements are more expensive, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes, that is generally true. If you really want lots of movements for not a lot of money, a used monorail is the way to go. Sinar (Norma, F2, Alpina, or P/P1/P2 models) and Toyo would be my preference, but Burke and James, Cambo/Calumet, Horseman, Omega, etc. might be less expensive.

Have you tried contacting any of your local camera stores, especially ones that still sell film? They may know of another store, a person to contact, or a camera club with a lot of film photographers that might help.

The best deal you will probably find would be to get someone to ship you a camera and lens from the U.S. and not declare a very high customs value, so you don't have to pay much tax. After you wait 30 days you can access the for sale forums here, or you can go look on APUG.org and look at their for sale forum now. You might want to post a "wanted" ad over there and see if anyone has anything that would work - hopefully a full kit with a lens, camera, and some film holders. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum376/

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

there was a really nice cadet on the forum a day to two ago that would have been a great grab for you
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Yes, that is generally true. If you really want lots of movements for not a lot of money, a used monorail is the way to go. Sinar (Norma, F2, Alpina, or P/P1/P2 models) and Toyo would be my preference, but Burke and James, Cambo/Calumet, Horseman, Omega, etc. might be less expensive.

Have you tried contacting any of your local camera stores, especially ones that still sell film? They may know of another store, a person to contact, or a camera club with a lot of film photographers that might help.

The best deal you will probably find would be to get someone to ship you a camera and lens from the U.S. and not declare a very high customs value, so you don't have to pay much tax. After you wait 30 days you can access the for sale forums here, or you can go look on APUG.org and look at their for sale forum now. You might want to post a "wanted" ad over there and see if anyone has anything that would work - hopefully a full kit with a lens, camera, and some film holders. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum376/
    thanks for reply, so, TOYO VIEW 45c whit Rodenstock 90mm Grandagon-N for 438$ is not a good deal?? whit film olders and monocular rubber focus ( i tink it's the name of this)

in my small city (50.000 people) can not find any stores that sell this type of camera or clubs or nothing like that, nowadays everyone is interested in digital.

thanks for the tips, I'll make a user account on "apug", did not know of the existence of that forum.

thanks again