Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Re: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kayne View Post
    I am considering buying a used 8 x 10 field camera... Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks. Joe.
    You buy one, and if you don't like it you sell it and get a different one. Just don't pay stupid money for whatever you get. L

Quote Originally Posted by asf View Post
    That's an interesting Plaubel setup

810-810-57-45 standards?

did you modify that rear bipod yourself?
    I have another 4x5 standard for the front if needed but doesn't look like I need to worry about it till I can afford the 70" lens.

I made the bipod using matching gitzo monopods, an offset Gitzo head and 2 pieces of angle iron.

The next upgrade may be the tri-lug rail if the correct parts ever come up again.

I also have bag bellows and the single bellows adapter for shorter lens'.

This camera once set up is a dream to use, I just wish I had two sherpah's to carry it for me.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58d1f916...14_234955.jpg?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140215_160603.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	162892

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

My favorite is very light, but its problem is that is is very light and moves in a breeze.
    Century 1 8x10.

The best for focus accuracy and holding movements is my green (or black) Monster.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...umetc8x10.html

It is worth the pain in the butt to carry, but not too far.

I love my Sinar F1 4x5, but recently fell in love with 8x10 and purchased a Deardorff V8. Just love this camera. Not the lightest camera and there are for sure more modern 8x10 cameras out there like the Ritter or VDS, but the Deardorff V8 just feels right! It is a real pleasure to work with it. Simply a great piece of American art
    “Of course it’s all luck.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson -

I have several 4x5's - my two favorite being my Wisner Technical Field and my Carbon Infinity. Just ordered my first 8x10 - a Canham Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by jerudi View Post
    I love my Sinar F1 4x5, but recently fell in love with 8x10 and purchased a Deardorff V8. Just love this camera. Not the lightest camera and there are for sure more modern 8x10 cameras out there like the Ritter or VDS, but the Deardorff V8 just feels right! It is a real pleasure to work with it. Simply a great piece of American art
    Why they hold their value. I should know, I have 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I dated several 8X10's and finally narrowed to 2 and then 1. Not a polygamist, but the Deardorff hung around for several years until I ultimately decided it too had to go.

The old gal I decided on is pretty frugal and plain. She doesn't turn heads when we enter the room. Kodak 2D.

The reasons the ubiquitous 2D was the camera best suited to my style are; It has a strong front standard that can hold up ridiculously heavy antique lenses. Things like a 16" Pinkham & Smith, or a Dallmeyer 3A. There's plentious room inside for a large Packard shutter to live behind the giant lenses. A 6 1/2" Packard stays trapped behind the front standard, ready. And last but not least, I'm a lens fanatic. So something like the metal Kodak would limit me to only the number of lenses I had expensive boards for. I have hundreds of lenses. Silly me. The 2D boards are large enough, 6X6" for the big lenses, and you can bang them out of plywood in minutes. Then, there's the weight consideration. The old 2D only weighs 8 1/2 pounds. Pretty light for the torture I put it through.

Mine is looking like a worn out pair of shoes these days. Old and comfy.
    Me too...I own two kodak 2d's after watching your youtube videos and impressed how they seem rock solid. And at the inexpensive prices ...I can make one for vintage lenses with the packard shutter and the other for both 8x10 and 5x7 with up to date lenses and also be able to use my Apo-mag pinhole shutter with multiple pinhole apertures for long exposure shots. It's a no nonsense camera but I'm glad I got them both. No need to pay for a eye candy camera that will just get ruined when your shooting landscapes in bad or windy dusty weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I dated several 8X10's and finally narrowed to 2 and then 1. Not a polygamist, but the Deardorff hung around for several years until I ultimately decided it too had to go.

The old gal I decided on is pretty frugal and plain. She doesn't turn heads when we enter the room. Kodak 2D. . . .
    Me too. I've bought mine many decades ago, when they were sometimes dumped like mine with the case and extension for $20. An old friend like the 2D beats glamorous young cameras with all the frills that sometimes get in the way of making photographs.

Deardorff, mainly due to the influence of my Uncle who has more than one. I have been able to try a few others and they are nice. Staying with what is comfortable and what I can easily borrow a lens already in a Deardorff board if I need to.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I had a long-term relationship with my dear Norma, until an age-inappropriate Ritter 8x10 danced into my life.

I dumped Norma. She cried.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com