Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Re: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

I'll add my 2¢ and cast a vote for the Kodak Master. Little to say bad about it except that the lens boards are proprietary and hard to find. Aftermarket boards tend to be expensive. I converted mine to use Sinar boards. Also a metal camera in cold weather will suck the life out of your soul (or vice versa). But what a great design! I've had two; sold both; miss both.

Another capable camera is the Agfa (or Ansco). Mine is an Ansco, which is the earlier of the two, but virtually identical cameras. Large lens boards (7 1/2 inches) which give you the option of using some larger portrait lenses (or a larger Packard shutter. Not a field camera per se, but that didn't keep Morley Baer from using one in the field. Non-folding (tailboard) design sets up quickly with a captive rear extension that won't get lost. Great camera and often available for much less than clamshell varieties.

I seldom field shoot 8x10, usually 5X7, but when I do I use the Green Monster Calumet C1 made in Chicago for years, actually a modern design for studio use, but it does fold, is made of magnesium, very strong with full movements.

They are affordable, between $400 and $800 and reliable. Lot's of folks say they are too heavy, but the magnesium one is only 2 lbs more than a Deardorff, which was also made in Chicago and very popular.

But the real answer is, the camera you have is always the best, because it's yours.

Begin the dance and don't buy an expensive camera if you are new to this. Buy a solid used one with light-tight bellows.

Then use it and maybe buy something different after you know what you really want.

Many people miss their first cheap camera years later, when they wake up and have an expensive camera they don't use.
    Tin Can

I have a Wista DXII 4x5 and a Zone vi 4x5....anyone use the Wista 810. 8x10?
    Joseph Kayne
    Joseph Kayne Photography
    Fine Large Format Photography
    www.josephkaynephoto.com

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Canham 8x10. I have all 4 reducing backs for it. No regrets.

I use the same model Ansco as Will.
    It'll make a picture as good as a fancier camera.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Chamonix 8x10

I used a borrowed Deardorff for a little while then bought a Zone VI. I like both equally well, but the Deardorff seems to have been a little better machine. Those are the only ones I have used enough to comment on -- except I agree with using an all-metal camera in sub-freezing temperatures is challenging.

Some day I might need to get something a bit lighter -- I'd like a non-folding 8x10 with rear base-tilt, good front movements and enough bellows for landscapes with a 300mm. They just need to add base tilt to this baby! It is so close! http://www.shen-hao.com/PRODUCTSabout.aspx?i=988&id=n3
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I don't have any experience with 8x10 except for my Tachihara triple extension.
    If you're looking for something light, it's probably not a good option. I also find that the 'clips' that hold it closed whilst carrying by the leather handle aren't very reliable. I've been meaning to engineer something to overcome this.
    It's very heavy, too. If I were given the chance at the beginning I probably would have opted for a different brand of 8x10, but the price was right for me, and actually using the camera is joyful.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Ritter 8x10 - very portable field camera
    +1, enthusiastically.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I had a Toyo 810G for a while, but it was much too difficult to transport in the field. Great camera otherwise, solid, with every movement you could need.

Then a B&J Commercial 8x10, that was the sloppiest camera I had ever used; to its credit, it did have a lot of movements.

Then a Kodak Commercial View, light, and made of magnesium; the main drawback was lack of front movements and having to carry the extra rail and tripod block as separate pieces sometimes.

I really enjoyed having a Kodak Master for a while, but the utter lack of fine focusing proved to be a deal-breaker.
    It is a good camera, but it has its downsides, Will mentioned a couple of them. One I will add is that the metal is soft enough to be bent easily by hand, that includes the back assembly.

I finally settled on the Toyo 810M and couldn't be more pleased; sure it's heavy, but it's also incredibly stable and very precise in operation. It has all the movements one would need in an 8x10 and there are no extra bits to carry around (or forget).
    It's relatively inexpensive, cheaper than the 810MII, and with a few simple modifications, it can focus lenses up to ~930mm at infinity