Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Invitation to Chicago & my Darkroom

Re: Invitation to Chicago & my Darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Thats very nice of you, Randy. If we end up doing Chicago stuff (still discussed with medical insurance) this year - I am totally going to visit
    Welcome!

Great, but if you need a hospital, i highly recommend Northwestern. It's excellent, feels like a hotel, has a concierge for scheduled procedures and has saved my life twice in ER.

I took a taxi to their ER for my last heart attack, as it was faster and I got onto my prefered hospital, vs the local mystery ship.

Anybody with chest pain goes to front of the line.

But if you are shot in Chicago, Cook County has the best in the world for those emergencies, a sad but true reality in our City on the Make.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    But if you are shot in Chicago, Cook County has the best in the world for those emergencies, a sad but true reality in our City on the Make.
    Inner city hospitals almost always best if you get shot. That's where the Army sends their docs for training.

For cheap to Chicago, there's always Megabus.

My "must" stop, whether in Chicago or layover at airport, is Gold Coast Dogs. Though I suspect there are non-chains that are better.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Inner city hospitals almost always best if you get shot. That's where the Army sends their docs for training.

For cheap to Chicago, there's always Megabus.

My "must" stop, whether in Chicago or layover at airport, is Gold Coast Dogs. Though I suspect there are non-chains that are better.
    Yes, there are. Today I stopped at http://www.timeout.com/chicago/restaurants/man-jo-vins Very clean, which some joints are not, a classic Chicago hot dog. with yellow mustard, sport peppers, big pickle, the right dog, tomato, neon relish, celery salt on poppy seed bun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_hot_dog which I always get with the weird cornmeal, not Mexican, but traditional Tamale, a free cup of tap water, $4.10 which is on the high end, but I prefer a clean shop with pleasant folks.

Chicago also has more expensive fast food, know as Italian Beefs, no apostrophe needed. This is the best for miles, most Beefs are crap, but not this joint. I love this place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZXXKRG1qk
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Chicago is starting the tourist season. Yes, lot's of people come here from around the world. May to October is the best weather.

Yesterday I had a short and pleasant visit from an active forum member, since we already corresponded it was great to see an old friend. (you know what I mean)

My safe inner city location is Chicago's version of Bohemia

I prefer active posting members as we all seem to know each other that way. Zero posters and new members will need vetting.

I can be a guide to Chicago, I have lived here since 1967. I comprehend Castilian.

I can provide full darkroom if needed, for short projects of almost anything film based. Soon B+W movie film processing, in small batches.

I am listed here on Ilford's site Private darkroom 'TIN CAN COLLEGE'.

Let Summer begin!
    he has an amazing place. He has top-of-the-line commercial stainless sinks

Quote Originally Posted by puntti View Post
    he has an amazing place. He has top-of-the-line commercial stainless sinks
    The 3 old LeeDal sinks, all made in Chicago, were bought for $500 total and span 23 ft. They are in my ex-living room. The fellow who made them, still makes them in Michigan. Everything I buy is used and usually unwanted.

Not sure why you made the your comment puntti, but welcome to the forum.
    Tin Can

Hi Randy , On our trip to the states in late May early June we miss you by 1 state We terminate at Michigan , How far as the crow flies is Detroit from Chicago . Cheers Gary

If the crow is flying above I-94, it is 283 miles (455km) from Detroit to Chicago and roughly 4.25 hours if it is a fast crow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    If the crow is flying above I-94, it is 283 miles (455km) from Detroit to Chicago and roughly 4.25 hours if it is a fast crow.
    Ya, lot's of people tell me they drive it in 4 hours, I find it more like 6 hours with a pit stop to my northside location.
    Tin Can

Bumpity
    Tin Can