Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rule Change - Bumping

Re: Rule Change - Bumping

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You are right. If we create a For Sale post and want to provide more than 4 photos of the item as part of the original post, that's perfectly understandable and acceptable.
    Thank you!
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You are right. If we create a For Sale post and want to provide more than 4 photos of the item as part of the original post, that's perfectly understandable and acceptable.
    Thanks Ken, I know I shouldn't worry as you guys are usually quite reasonable.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Will this new rule be applied to multiple threads by the OP to circumvent the limited photo attachment feature? If so, will there be an increase on the number of allowed photo attachments?
    I see replies by the OP to the original thread for the purpose of providing additional photos of the item being handled on a case-by-case basis. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but I can envision some who might try to game the system with additional photos of questionable value.

This is a good rule... keeps the sellers from ruling the forum.

New around here, but the ability to mark an item as sold would help as well. If the OP could mark the thread themselves and it be tagged or flagged or something. I think this could help as well, just unsure if it is feasible. I know on the art forum I use to frequent a mod had to go in and change the thread title to add [SOLD] in front. Seems like extra work the mods might not care to take on.

I swear, people sure get hung up on simple rules, and try to make things difficult playing "what if" for days. It just amazes me.

Here is the deal, the big picture, that was trying to be stopped.

1. Sellers, not hobbyists, but people that sell 10, 20, or 50 items a month.
    2. Sellers, that seldom if ever post anything about photography, but instead use the FS as a "free marketplace" for their business.
    3. People selling that like bumping too often. No, I'm not going to try to define "too often" for you, but I know it when I see it.

In polite society, people try not to be obnoxious, or take advantage, or to arrogantly assume their goals are more important than the next guy. Posting "bumpity...bumpity" every couple days is not being polite. Because a few clueless people were stepping on other's toes, and don't care to be polite, a rule was formed. Good....it had to be. The next thing we need to go after is people selling 20 barely relevant items at the same time. I define "barely relevant" as small format, digital, camera bags, and other consumer goods that really aren't large format. Yes, I've sold a few Leicas. But very few. When a person has 10 items for sale, with constantly moving "inventory", month in and month out, that isn't hobby sales. It's a dealer. Those guys were bumping and monopolizing the FS section.

What if someone has a FS post with 3 items. Is that one bump per week, on a per-post basis... or 3 per week, on a per item basis?

Less clutter is the goal. It's pretty easy to grasp.

Whether we're selling 1 or 100 items in a single post, other members don't need to see that thread until a week has passed, unless we've got something genuinely substantial to contribute.

Thanks Ken. That was way more of an answer than my smart-alek comment deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    When a person has 10 items for sale, with constantly moving "inventory", month in and month out, that isn't hobby sales. It's a dealer. Those guys were bumping and monopolizing the FS section.
    I feel like this might be aimed (not directly perhaps) at me. Just a couple of thoughts though:

It seems there have been many instances where a person will post 4-8 threads with different items and take up half the front page of the FS, and then bump all those threads at once occasionally. That's much more of a nuisance than one large thread with many items, right?

Secondly, at least for myself, I seem to have a once-a-year 'yard sale' with a lot of random stuff from 35mm up to LF. Is this an issue? I sure hope that I am not one of the "problem" people that both some moderators and users have alluded to. Because I sure haven't been told that via a PM (by anyone, though if a regular user were to tell me, I'd take it into consideration, but would consider it a non-issue unless a mod told me).

Finally, this really cements my view that we really need a dedicated subforum for small format items. While this is the LF forum, who here shoots nothing but LF? I see little reason to limit small format or digital gear. It seems to be a small minority of people that take umbrage with those sales. But maybe I'm wrong.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome