Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule Change - Bumping

Re: Rule Change - Bumping

We have the same rule in our local RC forum, one bump/week. It is very reasonable because you gain nothing by bumping daily (or you might even irritate the daily readers), to be honest I was quite surprised to see here no limit bumping allowed.

In our sales forum nobody is counting the days and we discuss freely (and add pictures) like here but when somebody is abusing the terms it is quite clear.

We have one more rule.

You can bump anytime if you drop the price significantly (like 15-25%).

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It seems to me the Classifieds is getting really cluttered just from the sheer amount of threads. It's too bad we can't have a subforum of classifieds - like one for LF, one for small-format, one for digital, etc.

Bumping on different days/times seems to be extremely effective for getting new eyes on FS threads because the forum moves so fast.
    We have considered sub-sub-forums, but doing that would complicate administration, as we'd end up looking like eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    ...we'd end up looking like eBay.
    That ship sailed years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    That ship sailed years ago.
    +1

Richard Brown

I am not impressed.... I bumped my ad sunday night the 22nd at 1900 hours approx..... and at 2300 hours, Ken Lee instituted this ban. And removed my "bump". My previous comment was on the 15th in the evening. So applying it retroactively seems a bit draconian. I was four hours early on a rule that didn't exist at the time. Excuse me but what???? I have a really nice Ebony camera that someone in the forum will love.... I wish to sell it. I don't think this action was justified. And bringing an ad to the foreground a week later by someone who has been a member and bought and sold gear on this fabulous forum for many years should not be a punishable offence...... yes, some will abuse it and that is why I kind of like the apug rule of three days seems a nice balance.

Quote Originally Posted by richard brown View Post
    I bumped my ad sunday night the 22nd at 1900 hours approx..... and at 2300 hours, Ken Lee instituted this ban. And removed my "bump". My previous comment was on the 15th in the evening.
    Please pardon my poor mathematical skills. I merely calculated wrong, nothing more.

Best of luck with your sale.

Quote Originally Posted by stiganas View Post
    We have one more rule.

You can bump anytime if you drop the price significantly (like 15-25%).
    I would think a price drop is not really a "bump" in the traditional sense...

Many do a modest price drop at the weekly bump. Usually you do a massive price drop if you miscalculated the price or need the money really fast.

We take a relaxed approach and post small reminders when someone totally disregard the rule (generally a fresh member who doesn't read the forum policy).

Our volume of adds is comparable with LFPF but the rc models move slowly, normally you sell after 2-4 weeks or longer. Here half of the sales are in the first days (even hours).

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I would think a price drop is not really a "bump" in the traditional sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    We have considered sub-sub-forums, but doing that would complicate administration, as we'd end up looking like eBay.
    Another photography forum I frequent archives inactive threads (once all items are sold), moving them to a separate forum. There's a user setting for the thread owner to do this, so moderators don't have extra work (other than reminding thread owners to make this change as appropriate). Doing something similar here would really clean up the main for sale/wanted forum.

A separate "wanted" forum could also help.

Will this new rule be applied to multiple threads by the OP to circumvent the limited photo attachment feature? If so, will there be an increase on the number of allowed photo attachments?
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy