Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam Core Board

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Foam Core Board

Hello,

Please tell me where else (other than Light Impressions) can I get pre-cut (11x14" in particular) acid-free foam core board for frame backing. Thanks!

Foam Core Board

Check your local artists supply store. There's one near me that sells packages of (ummm....I think it's 5 or 6 pieces) pre-cut foam core, and I'm pretty sure it's acid free.

Foam Core Board

Alcan Composites do a complete range of boards for the artist, photographer and display.
    Your loacal art dealer will have stock or will be pleased, I am sure - to order what you need from them. They may even supply a FREE sample of their range!

First try their web site at: alcankapa.com or alcancomposites.com

Foam Core Board

One thing I've tried and like a lot, instead of foam board, is corrugated polypropylene board. It stays flat and is totally intert (or so they say). I think it's cheaper. Works great as a frame backing board. Very easy to cut, too. The stuff is readily available at most art supply stores (at least it is around where I live).

Doesn't the foam in foam board outgas to some extent? Just wondering.

Foam Core Board

Try these guys http://clearbags.com/ I have been using them for years for clear bags and foam core and backing board. they generally have slightly offsize ... nothing that matters usually ... board at outrageously cheap prices ... right now they have 25 11x14 boards for $6.25. I have been using these so called 'off size' boards of theirs for a couple of years and seldom have to do any trimming.

Foam Core Board

Gatorfoam, which is waterproof and will not dent, is also used in outdoor signage. It is available in white, black (including the foam core) and kraftpaper brown in thicknesses from about 1/4 inch up to at least one inch. Boards are 4x8 feet, like plywood. Check with your local sign companies.

Also look in the yellow pages under "plastic". Here in New England, there is an excellent chain of stores named Modern Plastics which carry and custom cut all of this stuff. The remnant bin is a treasure trove.

They also have a website: http://modernplastics.com/

Foam Core Board

Thanks so much for the resources. I'll be sure to check them all out. Appreciate it!

Doug Dolde

Foam Core Board

Another vote for Gatorboard.

I'd never use standard white foam core again. It's total crap and dents and dimples easily whereas Gator will not. When I use my small Seal press for dry mounting larger prints I have to do it in four passes. I never see any marks where I moved the platen on Gator. but I did with the old foamcore. Who needs that?

I buy 32" x 48" sheets from Charrette.com and cut them with a utility knife. You can get black, white or kraft (brown paper) colors.

Doug Dolde

Foam Core Board

Another option is Bainbridge Archival Fiber Mount Board which I have purchased from Documounts.com in 11 x 14 size to mat 8 x 10 prints. They are about $1.65 each in quantity of 50. Less if you buy more<>a bit more if you buy less. They are quite rigid and work very well. Kind of a beige color on both sides. Definately preferable to white foam boards.

http://www.documounts.com/html/71/Archival%20Fiber%20Mount%20Board