Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kodak OC safelight filters

Re: Kodak OC safelight filters

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Okay, Randy, I'm going to try the red LED's you like. If they don't work, I'm building a catapult to fling Saltzman enlargers at your house!
    Be quick about it. I'm moving and will be hard to target.

Do remember to test for yourself and maintain the normal 4 ft distance.

Well, I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea of $92 for a round Kodak safelight filter! It kills me that a Premier 10" by 12" safelight filter is only about $29 and the 5.5 inch Kodak is now nearly $100. For the price of one new OC filter I could buy 30 of these little LED bulbs!

Funny thing...my old Thomas Duplex sodium vapor safelight flunked - even with the vanes closed - when I started using Ilford VC papers a few years back. And a really funny thing is what passed the test - the large type OC globe/bulb combos that come pretty cheap from B+H! With a bit of black tape over a couple of pinholes...Bob's your uncle!

Jim Sidinger

I use Ilford MG Classic mostly and matching up its spectral sensitivity curve & the Amber LED's curve (one recommended earlier in this post) it looks like you'd need to be pretty careful to minimize exposure with it. Ilford recommends a 580 cutoff and that bulb puts out energy a fair amount beyond it.

Not saying it couldn't be used but the red one looks to be a fair amount 'safer'.

Also tried to follow the link to the Kodak OC spectral curve given but it appears to be dead. Anyone have a current one?
    Thanks, Jim

Jim...the bulb I'm referring to is the Delta-1 OC-Amber. I've used a number of OC-Amber filters in the past...and when compared to them these particular bulbs are actually a bit on the red side - which is why I suspect that they are safe for Ilford multigrade papers. A recent B+H review from another person sounds similar to my experience with these bulbs.

I have not searched for a spectral curve on the Delta-1's - but I suspect that the factory tweaked them to work with VC papers.

I also suspect that your amber led's are more accurately "amber" than are my Delta-1 bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by denverjims View Post

...Also tried to follow the link to the Kodak OC spectral curve given but it appears to be dead. Anyone have a current one?...
    Jim, try this pdf link. It's working for me:
    http://motion.kodak.com/KodakGCG/upl...felight_OC.pdf

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Jim, try this pdf link. It's working for me:
    http://motion.kodak.com/KodakGCG/upl...felight_OC.pdf
    This link worked like a champ. Thanks, Jerry
    Regards, Jim

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Jim...the bulb I'm referring to is the Delta-1 OC-Amber.
    John, apologies for my not being specific. I was referring to the amber one pointed to in Eric's post in this thread (#5). I'll look into the Delta-1 OC.
    Regards, Jim

Okay, Randy, so far I'm sold. My shipment of 4 of the tiny ones came in today. I played around with them in the darkroom and for only being 2 watts they are very bright. I stuck them in some Kodak "Beehive" safelights without filters and 5 X 7 safelight-again with no filter and they really light the place up. I bought 4 of the Superbrite bulbs and I found a Home Depot one I'd bought and misplaced last year. I might bounce it off the ceiling as you recommend. Soon as the darkroom is up and running, I'll run some tests.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Okay, Randy, so far I'm sold. My shipment of 4 of the tiny ones came in today. I played around with them in the darkroom and for only being 2 watts they are very bright. I stuck them in some Kodak "Beehive" safelights without filters and 5 X 7 safelight-again with no filter and they really light the place up. I bought 4 of the Superbrite bulbs and I found a Home Depot one I'd bought and misplaced last year. I might bounce it off the ceiling as you recommend. Soon as the darkroom is up and running, I'll run some tests.
    Do not use the the Home Depot bulb. I tried it. No good.

Do bounce these off the walls.

Do use red only, not amber.

I also use Beehives, no filter.