Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak OC safelight filters

Re: Kodak OC safelight filters

The OC filters I have been tossing out all have pinholes or worse and require a patch with tape, age, heat and fumes may be the cause.

Try a red LED, you will be surprised if you test the one I have recommended over and over. Many here use it.

This one.

Or this one. I also wrote a review for it on the site.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Try a red LED, you will be surprised if you test the one I have recommended over and over. Many here use it.

This one.
    I concur. I have been a staunch supporter of what I call "proper" safelights on forums for years. What I was always talking about was a real safelight, as opposed to a random red light bulb from Home Depot or a string of red Christmas lights. However, I have to admit that I invested in these particular LEDs for testing, and they tested well in my darkroom situation. That's the bottom line: ANY safelight must be tested! Test, test, test. But these bulbs are cheap enough to try! I use a combination of fixtures with standard OC filters, and two of these bulbs (big darkroom).

Randy,

Simple question inquiring minds wants to know:

I have bought 2 of the led red lamps you pointed at from superbrightleds, and the CS there is annoying me with billing address and home address even if the purchase was made via PayPal - already peyed, BTW. Did you ever had any problem with this store at any time?
    Next email received I'll cancel the buy and try the other lamp at Home Depot or elsewhere, dam'it,

Cheers,

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by RSalles View Post
    Randy,

Simple question inquiring minds wants to know:

I have bought 2 of the led red lamps you pointed at from superbrightleds, and the CS there is annoying me with billing address and home address even if the purchase was made via PayPal - already peyed, BTW. Did you ever had any problem with this store at any time?
    Next email received I'll cancel the buy and try the other lamp at Home Depot or elsewhere, dam'it,

Cheers,

Renato
    Sorry Renato, I did receive your email, but lost it in the piles I get everyday. My apologies. I delete nearly every email. But obviously I read yours. My mistake.

I have ordered from that store 3 times, without trouble.

I also use Pay Pal with any business that takes it, but have had weird address issues a couple times. I must be their best customer...

The HD bulb is 3 times the output so it needs greater distance or bounce it off a wall or ceiling.

Best, Randy Moe
    Tin Can

OC filters are the best for VC papers, because of image bleach with Red safelights (Herschel effect) you may not be able to get the higher contrast grades.

Ilford use a very low amber safelights in their B&W paper confectioning area, the intensity is very significantly lower than normal darkroom use.

Ian

Herschel effect
    Herschel effect [′hər·shəl i‚fekt]
    (graphic arts)
    The reaction whereby a photographic image on silver chloride is destroyed by exposure to red light. Also known as visual Herschel effect.
    The reaction whereby a latent photographic image in gelatin emulsion which is not dye-sensitized is destroyed by exposure to red light. Also known as latent Herschel effect.
    Tin Can

Herschel effect
    Herschel effect [′hər·shəl i‚fekt]
    (graphic arts)
    The reaction whereby a photographic image on silver chloride is destroyed by exposure to red light. Also known as visual Herschel effect.
    The reaction whereby a latent photographic image in gelatin emulsion which is not dye-sensitized is destroyed by exposure to red light. Also known as latent Herschel effect.

The Herschel effect is used for Direct Positive materials where an emulsion is sensitised to one spectral range and pre exposed and the latent image destroyed by a diffrent part of the spectrum.

Ian

I know nothing about that.

However, I never have my VC paper under 'safelight' very long. My paper is always, in the OE box, then transferred quicking in quantity to Paper Safe, exposure no more than 20 seconds, I focus my enlarger then take paper out and very quickly expose and right in to the soup. No more than 60 seconds total non enlarging time.

I see no effects. Perhaps Graphic Arts have a different workflow.

I also cut X-Ray under these bulbs, and take my time. Perhaps 10 minutes to cut four 8x10 X-Ray film sheets into about thirty 2-1/4 X 3-1/4 films and load inyo holders. Again no noticeable effect. ymmv

OC is impossible for me, as I see nothing.
    Tin Can

Sorry Renato, I did receive your email, but lost it in the piles I get everyday. My apologies. I delete nearly every email. But obviously I read yours. My mistake.

I have ordered from that store 3 times, without trouble.

I also use Pay Pal with any business that takes it, but have had weird address issues a couple times. I must be their best customer...

The HD bulb is 3 times the output so it needs greater distance or bounce it off a wall or ceiling.

Best, Randy Moe

Thanks, Randy, last year I had the chance to setup my last B&W lab and had as a gift a nice safe-light, but unfortunately the amber filter which came with it's almost unusable, too dark.
    If everything goes nicely with the store it would be great, let's see,

Cheers,

Renato

Okay, Randy, I'm going to try the red LED's you like. If they don't work, I'm building a catapult to fling Saltzman enlargers at your house!