Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Format X-Ray images

Tiny Format X-Ray images

Shot these yesterday. All Ektascan.

The square is Hasselblad sheet film system. Studio flash.

The 2X3 is Crown Graflex RF focus, very bright day, no clouds east, wispy clouds west. It is this grey here, almost no color except red stop sign. Light yellow filter. Notice flare in West shot.

Scanned on V700 as batch of 7 on 8x10 setting, emulsion down flat on glass.

All cut with cheap guillotine cutter under red LED.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Table set Hass Ekta 1 fs.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	130894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAST 606 1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	130895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WEST 606 2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	130896
    Tin Can

Re: Tiny Format X-Ray images

Your darkroom is neater than mine!

I figure I'm going to have some left over strips of film from cutting Xray 8x10 to 5x7. I was thinking of making/using some pinhole cameras to play with it. Or maybe it can be made to fit and wind on a 35mm camera...maybe further smaller-i-fy it to fit between the sprockets, I can't imagine punching the sprocket holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Your darkroom is neater than mine!

I figure I'm going to have some left over strips of film from cutting Xray 8x10 to 5x7. I was thinking of making/using some pinhole cameras to play with it. Or maybe it can be made to fit and wind on a 35mm camera...maybe further smaller-i-fy it to fit between the sprockets, I can't imagine punching the sprocket holes.
    That's just a display, my darkroom is somewhat bigger and posted in 'Show us your Darkroom' thread.

All those scraps are good for testing fixer and other things over time. I throw little away.
    Tin Can

Ha - I got this one wrong. I was thinking Voightlander Bergheil's and other 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 cameras. Also the carloads of cameras that don't have film manufactured for them any more. 116, 118, and 122. Lots of fun available here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    That's just a display, my darkroom is somewhat bigger and posted in 'Show us your Darkroom' thread.

All those scraps are good for testing fixer and other things over time. I throw little away.

This evening I cut a bunch of Ektascan for 5x7's (and 4x5 for testing etc) and as a result I had a bunch of 1"x10" strips of film. Actually, they are a little more than 1", 1 and 1/16 and that's 27 mm, a 35mm film image is 24x36mm so I thought maybe I could stick this strip of film in the old Olympus OM-1 and take a few pictures with it and see what they look like. I can't show you the negatives 'cause the film strip is still drying and I don't have a film scanner yet anyway, but it worked! I think that if I put them in a proper cassette and could have a little tension on the film I'd've gotten 5, maybe 6, exposures not three with odd spacing. With 36 exp rolls I usually get 38 with this camera sometimes 39. I have daylight balanced fluorescents in the art studio/darkroom so there's a reasonable amount of blue and green light (not tungsten which is heavily shifted to red/orange). I propped the camera on darkroom timer, used the mirror lock up and the self timer to avoid the shakes and took 3 pictures at 1 sec f16 (waste of a f1.8 lens). I assumed that the film was a true ASA 64 with these lights and used some home brewed rodinal (fresh bottle---the old one was not behaving right) 1:100 for 10 minutes and have what look like 3 great little negatives. Its amazing the level of detail this film can record---I don't think Xray machines I've seen can render this finely. I look forward to putting these in the enlarger tomorrow and having a better look at them at 10x but probably won't print any bigger than 5x7, if I do more than make contact prints (or slides...I have a bunch of these film strips). It was super fun going from "I wonder..." to having the answer in my hands in 1/2 hour or less. The photos aren't art, but one need not have great art to enjoy one's self.

No reason to waste scrap.

Who makes art, I just try to have a good time.
    Tin Can

This makes very interesting reading with charts. How this Fujifilm is sharper.

http://www.zzmedical.com/doc/RX.pdf
    Tin Can

Tiny format? Hmm... I assume the X-ray stuff is cheap because it utilizes some primitive technologies, and thus it must be much coarser in its grain. Has anyone made any direct comparisons to the 'normal' films like TMX and FP4+ or the cheaper Fomapan 100? X-ray film prices are attractive but I'm not inclined to think FP4+ isn't worth all the money they charge for it.... How much the grain difference actually is?

It would be interesting to compare the X-Ray films themselves, I have only used Kodak X-Ray, CSG double sided and Ektascan. I would love to see anyone's results with the Fujifilm I linked to.

However, when you look at my 6x6cm Hasselblad shot in the first post here, it looks pretty darn good to me. That was scanned flat on the glass of V700, and reduced to this site's requirements. The actual negative is very nice, no I have not enlarged it. It was simply a test shot.
    Tin Can

In reading the spec sheets, it doesn't look like primitive technology. The price might have more to do with the volume and regularity of sales, as well as the expectations of the specific market. Since the big players already have high-tech operations to produce film, I doubt that changing production drastically, such as going with an "old tech" emulsion, would be a cost savings. It would probably require a completely different coating line.... but that's all just guesswork, of course. When I get time, I'll make some comparisons.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know