Thread: how to use spacers with horseman 6x9 pola back??

how to use spacers with horseman 6x9 pola back??

hi -- i got a horseman pola back for use with my 980. it came with the two spacers (the rf spacer and the g spacer). any idea how to use the spacers and what they are designed to accomplish?? the camera seems to work OK without the spacers.

thanks!!

Roger:

Based on the Horseman catalog copy I have seen, I think the spacers are provided because the pola back puts the film in a different plane than rollfilm backs. The spacers move the groundglass back to the same plane as the pola film. As Dennis Miller says though, I could be wrong!

Glenn

hi glenn -- you are absolutely right. the film plane of the pola back is about 1 - 2 mm further back than the film plane of the camera ordinarily. that much i have found out so far.

i am really just curious about how to fit the spacers onto the camera (especially the RF spacer), and how they function with the camera. i think i have figured out the G spacer -- basically it just fits into the GG back and moves the glass back a little to compensate for the difference in film plane. the RF is another matter -- and i do use the RF quite a bit with this camera.

any thoughts on how the RF spacer works?? (and am i using the G spacer correctly -- certainly seems OK).

thanks!!

jadphoto

Roger,

It's been a long time since I worked with a VHR but here goes: The back spacer inserts into the camera like a sheet film holder (under the ground glass) to place the ground glass at the same focal plane as the Polaroid back.

The rangefinder spacer goes between the infinity stops and the front standard to move the lens backward to match the focal plane of the Polaroid back.

You don't need the rangefinder spacer if your using the gg to compose/focus, only if you are focusing/viewing with the rangefinder.

Joe D.

thank you so much!!