Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10'' –– Arca Swiss F-Line Metric vs. Lotus View

Question 8x10'' –– Arca Swiss F-Line Metric vs. Lotus View

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty much new to the forum, but I'm looking to hopefully find someone who can help me on this big decision

The title is pretty much self-explanatory, but what I'm trying to do is to decide between an Arca Swiss F-Line Metric and a Lotus View camera (both in 8x10'' format). I said it's a big decision because I had never planned to spend (or spent) so much money on anything; and neither thought I would ever do!

I am looking for a very rigid/stable camera (as well as one that it's a pleasure to operate ) that I can "easily" take with me to the field, since I will not be using it in a studio environment most of the time. The movements I would be using the most are tilts and swings (mainly front standard, but also the rear standard is important).

I would love to try both of these cameras as it's very difficult to decide without having even seen nor operated one before, but it doesn't seem that it will happen (I'm based in the UK by the way).

Has anyone on here had any experience with any of these two models? Any thoughts on them? Specially rigidity and easy of transport I suppose...

Thanks a lot!

Re: 8x10'' –– Arca Swiss F-Line Metric vs. Lotus View

Neither of those. I would buy a Ritter 8x10 or a Chamonix.

Well, you are somewhat comparing apples and oranges - the Lotus is a wooden folder while the Arca is an metal monorail...

I've never used a Lotus, but I have an Arca 8x10 F (not the metric). If you get a 15cm rail for the Arca, you will be able to transport it fairly easily (to the extent that an 8x10 can be easily transported). The rail section will dictate the max thickness when stored for transport. I have a 4x5 version of the Arca, so when I went looking for an 8x10 the Arca was a natural for me, since I was used to the smaller format already, and the operation is identical between the two. Setup is pretty quick and easy: attach the optical bench to the tripod, slide the 15cm rail (with the standards) on the bench, extend the bellows and you are set.

Bob

I'm not an Arca Swiss expert but I believe with the F-Line "Metric" shifts are gear driven but not swings nor tilts. "Orbix" does tilts.

Compare the weights (along with the Ritter recommended by thomasfallon) and you may change what you want.

Good luck, jeff

Which 8x10 are you using--or have been using until now?
    I'd suggest going with the camera you can best envision yourself out in the field shooting with---you'll probably find it more sympatico with your vision so it will be less likely to stay at home collecting dust and the more you shoot the better your results are bound to be.
    See where I'm going with this?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

8x10'' –– Arca Swiss F-Line Metric vs. Lotus View

If you ONLY want to consider those two, the Lotus is the obvious choice since its a field camera, if you want other options I highly suggest the 8x10 Chamonix, I own one and its a pleasure to use, very stiff and sturdy. But if you only want 1 of your two options, the Lotus for sure, fiddling with rails and assembling might be easy for you but it's bulky and takes more time than a field camera, imagine losing a part in the dirt/mud/water as you try assembling it while holding your gear in a swamp or tall grass.

Good luck!

joseph

I haven't used a Lotus, though it looks great, and well thought out.

I have an Arca Swiss, and it doesn't require assembly or fiddling, it is probably the most completely well thought out large format camera I have used.

In the end, I'm sure that you'll be very happy with either of your choices.

Arca Swiss. It's quicker to use and sturdier than the Lotus.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    ...it doesn't require assembly or fiddling...
    Joseph, this is the second thread recently in which you've used the word "assembly" to subtly denigrate Phillips and Phillips-clone cameras. I don't understand why you find one particular approach to erecting the front standard, either on those cameras or more conventional field designs, worthy of such negativity. I've handled a wide variety of field cameras and found none of them "fiddly" except Canhams.

To the OP: since you're in the UK, I'd strongly suggest a hands-on evaluation of both your choices before making a decision. The cost of either camera new is going to be high enough that travel to Austria and a stocking Arca dealer in your own country will be cheap insurance against buyer's remorse.

joseph

Sal, this is the second time you've misrepresented me, and to be frank, now I'm tired of it.

If you read the comment preceding mine, I believe someone claimed that it was the Arca Swiss that required assembly, another erroneous misrepresentation.

Regarding the assembly issue in the other thread, I'm not subtly denigrating anything, I'm simply pointing out a design feature of the camera. You may think it a very good design, I prefer a camera that can be put on top of the tripod and used immediately, such as the Arca Swiss. Or whatever camera Adams used when he photographed 'Moonrise' ...

The fact that the assembly issue is accepted by users of the Phillips design, and that I accepted the reasoning behind it as presented by another poster in the other thread would serve to prove that I'm not subtly denigrating anything.

The issue is not about me, this is a design issue. If you like having to screw your camera together before you can use it, fine. If you don't like having to do that, there are other choices.