Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When is an Ebony not an Ebony?

When is an Ebony not an Ebony?

When is an Ebony not an Ebony? Is the company a victim of its own success?

Sometimes when it is an RW45. As many know I had to switch out of my long used Horseman FA system recently and after much thought decided on an Ebony. I settled on an RW45 because 1) I wanted a folder and 2) I had no need for all the additional movements offered by the higher priced models. Based on all I had heard here, additional private correspondence and Ebony’s own advertising I fully expected the RW45 to have superb fit and finish, the exact same as that of its higher priced siblings but with fewer movements. Wrong, at least in the case of the one I got. Clearly I can’t speak for every camera that leaves the factory but there have been enough minor undertones from unhappy users here and there to indicate that all is not always as it should be in Ebony land. I thought it was worth a discussion here on what I recently found as illuminating to those considering an Ebony. What follows is specific to a single camera and to the RW45 model. I understand that some of my comments extend throughout the line in some instances but not necessarily.

First, I was somewhat disappointed in the fit and finish of the camera. The woodwork was superb, no question. The finish, to my eye, was no better than I have seen on Wista and Wisner cameras I have owned, well maybe a teeny bit better but not much. The metalwork was another story. One of the metal focusing tracks had a longish scratch (say 2-3 inches, right out of the box and the metal base plate was full of ugly discolorations. I understand that this discoloration problem occurs in a fair number of Ebony cameras these days, not all of them but not just mine. The discoloration takes the form of mottling for want of a better way of describing it. Of course it has no impact at all on the functionality of the camera but I suspect it could have a significant impact on resale and, in any event, is not something you expect to see on a brand new camera. My understanding is that Ebony is now jobbing out their metalwork and that may be the problem. I understand they are getting complaints from their large US and UK dealers and, hopefully, that will solve the problem. Maybe and maybe not. The underlying problem here is that a huge portion of Ebony’s sales are domestic and they are appealing both to the serious Japanese LF photographer market and to the status conscious Japanese consumer market. Given the near cult status of the Ebony in some folks minds the straight consumer market may continue to buy no matter what (although I hope I am wrong about that).

Second, even given the differences between “tightness” of metal and wood cameras IMO the tightness of the RW45 leaves something to be desired. It takes more effort than it should to get this camera “locked down.” Once there, however, it is rigid; rigid enough that I used a 360mm lens in a #3 shutter in mild wind and experienced no problems at all. In the case of my camera there were also issues with the front standard not staying parallel with the film plane without pushing it back in place just as you were locking it down. There was also an issue with the focus track running loose without a stop at the end of it (I am told that was a problem with my camera only and that there is a stop screw on the RW usually). Note I say “my camera” with both of these issues but that also begs the overall QA/QC question when taken together with the metal finishing issue.

Third, a niggling point perhaps, but Ebony in their ads notes that you can use rather wide angle lenses with the camera and the universal bellows in the “wide angle configuration” (extreme backward tilt, etc.). It works for the 75mm SA but just barely and you must get the camera configured before you mount the lens. Given how it worked with the 75 I am not sure it would work at all with a 65. Others may have experience here.

In conclusion the Ebony RW45 with the universal bellows is a fine camera but it may not be worth what you pay for it. I am not sure that the RW45 really is built to the same standard as Ebony’s other offerings and that is not a criticism, just an observation that disagrees with their advertising. I expect that for the additional $$ for the other models you get more quality control and better fit and finish as well as additional movements. Nothing wrong with that, just not what is advertised. Also, given my own experiences, there are other cameras that offer the same flexibility and movements as the RW45, although perhaps not at the same weight.

For those who want to know the Ebony discussed above is on its way back to the factory and I am now using a Walker Titan. Heavier and a bit bulkier but far more to my liking in terms of the precision of its operation, even without the problems that were specific to my RW45. More on the Walker in another post, I believe it is a vastly under appreciated camera.

Interesting post Ted, and I'm curious to see whether other recent purchasers of Ebony cameras chime in with their experiences, but what's with the "quimby" signature?

Hi Sal,

The Quimby signature is an artifact from an ancient screen name ... read some three or four years old ... that I cannot seem to permanently expunge. keeps popping up every once in a while.

Sounds like a job for ... (deep voice)...TOM WESTBROOK!

I'll chime in with my Wisner experience. I had a windfall some ten years back which allowed me to purchase a 4x5 tech. As the money was burning a hole in my pocket, I wanted the damn thing yesterday (relative to placing the order). Upon recieving the box from Del's (does anyone remember or lament their passing?). Not one page of instructions, no factory box.....just bubble wrap with a camera inside and not a pristine camera at that. Perhaps I got a demo, or purhaps this is just the way they come. Short of dropping another eighteen bills I suppose that I never will know. It's a fine camera, though, beautiful and capable. I've dinged it up a bit over the decade, so it's really a moot issue at this point, but I would be interested in hearing other folk's experiences with "new" (and let's face it expensive) purchases.

Octogenarian

"Quimby". That must be Ted's alter ego that he uses to post long posts, complaining about the problems he is experiencing with an entry level Ebony camera. Perhaps you expected too much from the camera, Ted.

Nevertheless, it does sound to me that you might have gotten hold of a lemon. I've even experienced that problem with a top-of-the-line automobile. It appears that the dealer, and the Ebony factory are bending over backwards to please you. You could have waited to see if the factory made the necessary corrections, then filed your complaint, if they failed to do so.

Ever owned a Wisner Traditional? (it's close to the same price as the Ebony RW45). Judging from the posts I have read on this forum (and others) You probably wouldn't want to send a faulty Wisner back to the factory. You may not see it again for a couple of years.

I'll add here that my Tech will not properly seat a 545 holder. If I ever feel the need to shoot 'roids greatly enough, I'll probably send it to Richard instead of Ron.

Dear Quimby! Surrised to hear that you're not happy with your RW. However, I'm very sure that all the faults you list WILL be rectified by the factory - customer service is high on their list of priorities! Sounds like you got a lemon - but this DOES happen! You have done the right thing by returning it though! Just as a matter of interest, ALL the Ebony cameras that I have used/seen/handled have a similar "patina" on the metalwork - in my opinion it is part of the "charm" of titanium!! I doubt whether it will affect resale value. Titanium does not have the same "finish" as brass or plated metal - but an appearance all of its own! People seem to forget that part of the charm/attraction of wooden cameras is in the fact that they are NOT precision instruments! The fit/finish will not be the same as a metal camera - however there is something more pleasing about using a wooden camera that cannot be found when using a metal one. I use a 45SU, cost me a lot of money, but it is the best camera I have seen/used. It had a scratch on one of the titanium rails straight out of the box - but as yet I've not been able to put any scratches on it through normal use! If it "survived" this scratch it will survive anything I can throw at it!! I hope you enjoy your RW when it is returned to you.

I purchased a Wisner Expedition from Fred Newman in October 1996. Perfect in every way! More than 8 years later still as good as new (smooth and easy to use, all the metal work as shiny as ever). The only sign of use is some wear and tear on the leather handle. My next purchase (a larger format) will be a Wisner once again (horror stories notwithstanding).

Francesco http://www.cicoli.com

I thought Titanium was so strong that mere shipping boxes and bubble wrap couldn't scratch it?

Everytime I see an Ebony I wonder what the fuss is about. The first 4x5 I had was a Cherry Wista with a perfect finish on the wood and brass. It looked just as nice if not better.