Thread: Metallic Paper

Metallic Paper

Does anyone have any recommendations for metallic paper?

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

Re: Metallic Paper

Red River makes a quality metallic paper at a good price.
    http://www.redrivercatalog.com/brows...per-metal.html

But how metallic do you want it? Moab makes some paper that has an even stronger metallic glare - and then we just came across this stuff in the Lab that positively looks like true brushed aluminum called Chromaroll.

And before you ask, Chromaroll has no connection to Chromix whatsoever.
    Last edited by pherold; 9-Mar-2015 at 17:30. Reason: clarification
    Pat Herold
    CHROMiX Tech Support
    www.chromix.com

I've used the Red River paper, but I only like it if it can be displayed properly with a light source shining on it.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Here is a listing. Not an exhaustive list, but a good start. Just got to try them and see what fits your need.

(nsfw)

http://encyclopediainkjet.tumblr.com/

See volume 2, chapters 5,6 and 7.

I've played around with the offerings from Moab.
    The Slickrock Silver for the images that I tried was just too much. The paper itself has a silver surface and did not like the silver highlights. Unless under perfect viewing conditions it was hard to view and judge the prints due to the papers glare.

The other offering Moab Slickrock Pearl actually has become one of my favorites for BW images needing more contrast and perceived detail or color images were more pop and vibrant color is desired. Wife also much preferred the same images printed on the Pearl surface as opposed to the silver surface. Would not print image needing a low contrast presentation on either of these papers.

Looking to get my hands on some examples from Epson to see what they can produce.

As far as RA-4 goes, Kodak Metallic & Fuji Crystal Archive Pearl. I prefer the Fuji version.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmo View Post
    As far as RA-4 goes, Kodak Metallic & Fuji Crystal Archive Pearl. I prefer the Fuji version.
    Do you know if RA-4 paper can be developed as B&W? As in, take a B&W negative, print it, as run it through B&W developer? Instead of RA-4 chems?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Do you know if RA-4 paper can be developed as B&W? As in, take a B&W negative, print it, as run it through B&W developer? Instead of RA-4 chems?
    Stone, these are digital printing papers. Printed using Chromira printers & such from a digital file. Sure you can print a B&W image, but they want an rgb file to do it. I wouldn't reccommend printing B&W onto these metallic papers..it gives a slight grayish color shift. I only use it for color printing. For a b&w image, Fuji Supergloss (FujiFlex) is a better choice.

Metallic Paper

Quote Originally Posted by gregmo View Post
    Stone, these are digital printing papers. Printed using Chromira printers & such from a digital file. Sure you can print a B&W image, but they want an rgb file to do it. I wouldn't reccommend printing B&W onto these metallic papers..it gives a slight grayish color shift. I only use it for color printing. For a b&w image, Fuji Supergloss (FujiFlex) is a better choice.
    Gregmo, I'n saying process the RA-4 paper through B&W chemistry, there wouldn't be any color shift, because there's no color....

My question is about whether, like C-41 film, you could process it in B&W chemistry, I'm not sure if RA-4 has any silver particles in it like C-41 film does.

If so it could be used for B&W printing (with traditional enlarging not digital Lambda printing.

Furthermore you could still print color negative film using an enlarger on the metallic RA-4 paper, it just takes skill to get the color right as you mentioned the current RA-4 is designed for Lambda style (LightJet) digital enlargers.

So again I ask, is there silver? Can RA-4 paper be cross-processed in B&W print developer?