Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpest 300mm lens for 5x7

Sharpest 300mm lens for 5x7

To all,

I would appreciate any comments or opinions regarding a 300mm lens for shooting primarily landscapes in the 5x7 format with movements with the least fall off in image sharpness out to the edge of the image circle. I would also use this lens for 6x17 panoramas with movements as well. Although weight is a concern, I would be willing to lug something big around if center-to-edge sharpness was the lens' best quality.

Thank you for your comments

I am sure you will get as many recommendations as there are 300 mm lenses available <smiles> as basically any from the 'big four' will serve you well. My presonal recommendation is the Fujinon 300 mm A. the lens is now discontinued but not tooooo difficult to find on the used market if you have a bit of patience. I and several others here swear by them.

I'm getting confused. 6x17 -- is that inches or cm? Is this a new format or an old one?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Octogenarian

Hi Daniel,

From my experience, the Nikkor 300M and the Fujinon 300C are two excellent compact lenses in that focal length. They are 4-element lenses, mounted in Copal 1 shutters. They are light weight, and they take economical 52mm. screw-in filters. They will cover 8x10 and are blazing sharp.

I would second Eugene's recommendation and also add that you might find a good used 300mm Repro-Claron. I got and excellent one for about $300 a couple of years ago in a Copal 1 shutter and had wonderful results with it. It takes a smaller filter than 52mm, but I was able to buy a step up ring from B&W to enable using my 52mm filters. It just covered 8x10, so 5x7 and 6cm x 17cm should be a piece of cake with lots of room for movements. A very sharp lens!

Wouldn't a conventional 5.6 symetrical design be best at infinity for sharp and even results? Like a modern Symmar APO, Sironar-APO, Nikkor-W, etc.? Bigger but for a reason.

I have not used the Fuji, but use the 300M Nikkor a lot. It is outstandingly sharp and contrasty, as well as being very cheap and light! A no-brainer if ever there was such a thing. I have used it extensively on 4X5 and 6X17 and it is great. There will be a fall-off in sharpness in the image circle as you get close to the edges as it is a Tessar design, but the image circle is enormous for 5X7 so I'm sure you will never be shooting any landscapes with this portion of the image circle.

Another vote for the Fujinon 300A. (Ted Harris turned me on to this lens). Smaller than other lenses with equivalent coverage and performance. Optimized for close range, but outstanding at all distances. It was my long lens for 4x5, and is soon to be my standard lens for 8x10, and portrait lens on 5x7.

If my scanner were better, you'd see even more detail, but this 4x5 image was taken with the 300A, with a lot of rise. A small section from the top shows plenty of detail, way off-center.

I got in touch with Jim at Midwest Photo, who was able to find me one.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I have an older schnieder 300 and a new fuji 300 C. Since I work in the field I always take the Fuji because it's lighter and smaller. I haven't used the big schnieder since the fuji purchase. I use 8x10.

I've used several 300mm lenses, and here is my experience. However, others will have had different experiences and may strongly disagree with the following:

I found the 300mm f9 Nikkor to be great on 4x5, but poor on 8x10 outside of the central 5" or so area (when inspecting color transparencies with a magnifier of greater than 4x). I don't know how meaningful that would apply to 5x7", except that if movements are used and very large prints are desired it probably would make a difference (in comparison to the absolute sharpest results).

I found the 300m f8.5 C Fuji to be provide more uniform sharpness on 8x10 than the Nikkor, but it has what I call a 'hard' contrast look to it, on color transparencies, than other lenses, even the Nikkor. Some may like the look. I don't. However, most would consider the effect subtle, and for 8x10, I would choose the Fuji over the Nikkor. Probably the same for 5x7.

I found the very large and heavy Rodenstock 300m f5.6 Apo-Sironar S to provide better and most uniform sharpness accross the entire 8x10 image at infinity (didn't test close-up), and the most uniform illumination. If cost and weight were not a consideration, that's the best I've found. However, it may be overkill for 5x7.

I found the Schneider 305mm G-Claron, of modern vintage, to my surprise to be close to the Rodenstock. It's single coated, but shading the lens from direct sun with the film holder gave me results that were similar to the multicoated lenses. It has what I term I softer contrast than the NIkkor f9 and Fuji f8.5 lenses. The color balance is slightly warm, which I preferred. This lens did better than the Nikkor on sharpness outside the central 5" square area. I don't know how it compared in the central area however - I don't remember. However, I remember that at the time I tried it out, I preferred it overall to the other 300mm lenses given everything - color balance, illumination, sharpness across the image, weight, cost. However, they're not available neew any more.