Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling With 8x10 and all the accessories...

Traveling With 8x10 and all the accessories...

I'm a bit concerned about traveling with all of my gear, and checking much of it, for a trip out west. Any suggestions aside from shipping it?

I was thinking about putting my lens, camera, and tripod head (a smallish ball head) in a carry-on, and packing my camera bag with all my clothes and film holders, bags, etc, and just checking that one bag (a converted video lighting kit box).

2 Questions…
    1) I have the new 5 Series Gitzo, is it safe in a decent tripod bag (this one: http://www.manfrotto.com/tripod-bag-padded-100cm), again, without the head included? Or should I box it up?
    2) What is the consensus on film these days? I hear so many conflicting perspectives. I'm inclined to order it online and have it delivered to my destination, thus saving me all the hassle of explaining to a 23 year old TSA employee what film is. And then worrying all flight whether the whole trip is wasted by an overzealous scanner.

2b… but then, how safe is FedEx to ship film? I'm thinking totally fine, but… is it?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, I'm just curious what others have done.
    --

Michael Gaillard

Re: Traveling With 8x10 and all the accessories...

Back when I was traveling across the US semi regularly with an 8x10 outfit (2003-2006.) I would carry on the camera and 4 lenses in a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW and a book bag with 6 8x10 holders (and a couple boxes of film.) Then I would just stash an older aluminum Gitzo with the head detached in my big duffel with all my clothes (Checked.) Worked out just fine.

Sounds about right. Thanks.
    --

Michael Gaillard

I use my Photobackpaker pack as my carryon with camera, film, and lenses in it. If I need extra carryon room (when don't I ??) I use a small collapsable nylon bag to hold film or lenses as my "small personal item".

There is no issue sending your film through the carryon x-ray. My opinion is you are asking for trouble if you ask for a hand inspection. Again, just let your film go through carryon x-ray. Of course do not put film in your checked bag.

I simply put my tripod in my checked bag (a regular suitcase). I use the biggest suitcase I have, and put my tripod in diagonally. I have shipped a Gitzo 5 series this way. Film holders go in the checked bag too.

One thing I find handy is a small luggage scale (I think I got mine at Office Depot or some such) that I can weigh my checked bag. I bring the scale with me on the trip. That way I can be sure to get as close as possible to the 50lb limit without going over. I'm always right at the max with all my stuff.

On my last couple of trips I have used both 4x5 and 8x10, and to manage all that I have shipped out the 4x5 camera and some lenses via UPS prior to my trip. I've put film in the UPS box too without problems. But shipping that way, with a reasonable amount of insurance is pretty expensive, not to mention the hassle of shipping it back from a location near the airport in a city you may not be that familiar with. But I somehow don't trust checking cameras and lenses on my airline flight if I don't have to. A lost tripod, though expensive, is readily replaceable, in just a few days. Could take a while to find replacements for your LF camera or lenses.

Bob

Where are you coming from and where will you be landing? Are you camping or hotelling?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Pelican Cases....

Thanks guys. I'm coming from Brooklyn and headed to CA. Couch surfing with some hotels and maybe a camping excursion or two mixed in. Leaving out of SF.
    --

Michael Gaillard

Would Business Class cut you any slack with luggage and weights and carry ons?

I've recently flown through JFK and LAX with 8x10 and 4x5 film, in both airports the TSA offered to hand check the film and gave me no fuss. Be careful how you pack your film holders though--I had one darkslide damaged in my checked bag (I packed them up with my clothes) from what I'm sure was "careful handling." I have a friend who was an assistant for an NYC photographer who did a lot of traveling, and he was saying the photographer would always check insanely heavy gear cases and just slip the check in clerk a 20 to avoid overweight fees...but that's a risky proposition.

Last time I traveled with 8x10, I had a short layover (had to run through the airport to get to the next terminal due to a flight delay) and my checked tripod didn't make the connection.

I sent the camera and film ahead to the destination town the week before via USPS (in a pelican case) addressed to me at general delivery, which means I can pick it up at the post office when I get to the destination. That part worked well.