Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protecting an big inkjet print

Re: Protecting an big inkjet print

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    First, what's the substrate? Paper or fabric? The standard for fabrics like canvas is a water based coating. Ask your printmaker -- he's probably already set up to spray / roll coatings on canvas. If it's paper, there are again water based coatings, mostly applied in a spray booth. They can be nearly invisible and not change the look of the print, to anything you want -- take a matte print to full gloss if you want.

So... ask your printmaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    The print is in epson pigment inks, on Canson baryta paper.
    Alternatively, you could use this "free" print for an experimental mounting. For example, you could experiment with mounting to an aluminum sheet.

Or you could just use push pins in the corners and cease thinking about it at all.

Peter

I've used a couple of different varnishes in a Command Max hvlp sprayer. I usually only spray on canvas, but I just sprayed a inkjet print on watercolor paper to test it against dusting with a damp cloth. The varnish is for aqueous inks. One brand that I'm presently using is by Breathing Color, named Timeless. I usually spray 4 light coats on a print, but for this test I only sprayed one light coat with some probable overlap. After it dried I wet a cloth and dripped 4 or 5 big water drops on the print and left them there for 30 seconds. Then I wiped the print with total abandon with an already wet cloth for about 15 seconds and there's not even a little bit of a noticeable difference in the surface.
    The other brand that I've used is Clearshield Type C.
    Both are for aqueous inks and neither are flammable or explosive and they are non-reactive. Here's the msds for Timeless ...
    http://www.breathingcolor.com/000_pf...eless_MSDS.pdf

If you can manage a large enough space to spray it, I'd go for the breathing color stuff using an HVLP sprayer--it's pretty easy, and you don't have to deal with the fumes and such. I've had good luck with the premier print shield stuff, but only on small prints--it's hard to keep an aerosol can spray even over large areas like that.

of course, make sure to practice and test on other things first.

Lacquers are freely available in Arizona - all the paint stores have them. They weren't available in the Bay area when I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Lacquers are freely available in Arizona - all the paint stores have them. They weren't available in the Bay area when I lived there.
    I believe that California has banned these, along with several paint formulations, either in the entire state, or in the metropolitan areas.... which generally will translate into the entire state, because a supplier isn't going to keep 2 formulations where one is being sold in the "low volume" areas...

Drew Wiley

Here's how nationwide manufacturer's think: In the long haul, it's best to attempt to make a product that complies everywhere, because it's more cost effective to do that than to brew up a dozen different formulas for different regions. But lacquers are quirky. Things containing solvents that are outright banned as excessively hazardous for use in a cabinet shop, for example, might be allowed in amateur labeling, or even be sold in cumulative massive volume to the cosmetics industry.
    In fact, the greatest source of toxic landfill in many cases is actually leftover nail polish! Ever read what goes into some of that stuff, or talk to ER response people, and how many owners and customers of nail polish salons they have to deal with on an annual basis? So there are blatant inconsistencies in how these things are regulated. My first job in this town was actually picking up and delivering drums of this stuff from the local factories to the significant local furniture
    industry. I didn't personally get exposed to the fumes that way; but I did see the outcome to worker's health. And then, over the next decade or so, until traditional lacquers were outright banned, did witness what can happen when a spark lands at the wrong time. Half of a city block shattering, an entire rail car
    literally disappearing. Windows shattered clear across SF Bay. The weirdest case of all was where the dude was lifted atop a cloud of exploding gas, then safely
    landed in someone's garden hedge five blocks away. Quite a thrill ride. There was a similar explosion about four blocks from here. The place was a mess, like
    after an earthquake. Some guy beside a lacquer tank had been totally vaporized. Not a trace of him. But they did find his cigarette lighter on the ground!

Lacquer does make a beautiful finish though!

Abuser of God's Sunlight

There's nothing magically awful about lacquers; California has moved ban all oil/alkyd/high VOC finishes for general air quality reasons. The chemicals in the PremierArt spray are flammable and are respiratory irritants, but nothing is especially nasty. I'd wouldn't hesitate to use it with good ventilation. Especially for a one-off kind of project. I used to use stuff in my darkroom that was a lot worse, and am glad I don't anymore.

I still spray lacquer as a furniture finish. But it's small volume and I'm careful - I use a respirator with appropriate cartridges as well as gloves and only spray outdoors. I'm thinking to give Deft water based lacquer a try next time. And I use oil based finishes - so far the "latex" stuff makes a sh-tty finish - too soft and rubbery, can't be sanded, etc etc. Looks more like congealed snot than paint IMHO.

My suggestion would be to keep it within what ever protective sleeve it was delivered.in Sadly since you would have to spray something on the surface I do not think there is any way around avoiding the goop. And even after you spray something in the surface you still have to clean it. I personally think Bruce Watson is asking all the correct questions this way you get the perfect fit since your only option is a spray.

Best,
    F5top8