Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Can multiple scans increase resolution?

Re: Can multiple scans increase resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    So what everyone is talking about, I presume, is getting better resolution than the nominal max resolution of a given film scanner, right?
    Yes, although a bit more accurately: higher resolution than the maximum real-life resolution that the scanner yields, which is usually significantly less than its nominal resolution, especially with flatbed and low-end film scanners. E.g. the Epson 4990/V7x0 boasts a nominal resolution of 3200dpi, while in real life, it resolves around 2000dpi max.

No one is saying you can get better resolution in a digital file than what the film is capable of resolving, are they?
    Not that I know of, no. You can't make up information that isn't there to begin with.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    No one is saying you can get better resolution in a digital file than what the film is capable of resolving, are they?
    It also applies to a digital camera sensor. Multiple exposures, offset by sub-pixel amounts, can yield an effective resolution higher than what's possible with a single exposure.

This is what I tested. I did get an improvement in resolution, but the results of my one attempt didn't happen to look good.

I have a friend who shoots planetary photos with a little 1 to 2mb webcam through his telescope. The scope is tracking, say, Saturn or Jupiter, and the program on his laptop will take numerous photos every minute to around 400 photos. The program then picks out the best images and then stacks them. He gets a "better" image by this method than if he just shot one picture with the webcam. I am guessing this is kind of what we are discussing here...?

Two of his pictures

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg