Thread: Planning 14x17 Camera Build

Planning 14x17 Camera Build

I have a film holder for 14x17.
    I have an APO-Nikkor 610mm f9 lens that will cover this format.
    I have plans for an Anthony style plate camera that I purchased from here: http://www.wetplatecameraplans.com/

Now, I am trying to source the spring steel for the film back (I am not planning to use a plate holder). I was thinking that something like this would work: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/03342185

It appears to be the correct width and thickness to use for the project, but I am not sure. Another thought is how difficult would it be to bend the loop to hold the pins, that are attached to the wood frame of the back? Is that even possible, without losing the spring?

Any thoughts on whether or not this would work?

Thanks!

Re: Planning 14x17 Camera Build

I use stainless feeler guages available in 12" lengths from mcmaster carr. I think the details are on my website under "camera build"

bending isn't too hard with a vise and some pliers.

someone is going to suggest hacksaw blades! don't do that. they aren't stainless and you have to file off the fricking teetch.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I use stainless feeler guages available in 12" lengths from mcmaster carr. I think the details are on my website under "camera build"

bending isn't too hard with a vise and some pliers.

someone is going to suggest hacksaw blades! don't do that. they aren't stainless and you have to file off the fricking teetch.
    Vinny,

Thanks for the information. I would never have thought of using these.

I found a link to these at: http://www.mcmaster.com/#feeler-gauges/=w3f55v

Can you remember which grade of stainless? 302/304, or 316? Also, what thickness (your site did not specify this)? Finally, did you buy the 12 piece set, or the roll?

You have a lot of information on your camera build, but you did not give this information.

By the way, your camera looks great! I would consider something like that, but I've never worked with metal.

Type 302 is what I have used, I use 0.025" stock for 5x7 backs. I would think you would need at least 0.030" to support the 11x17 GG and at that size you may have to double them up. You can buy single pieces of 1/2"x12" stuff. I use two for each 5x7 back and the offcuts are used to make the clips for the glass.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Vinny,

Thanks for the information. I would never have thought of using these.

I found a link to these at: http://www.mcmaster.com/#feeler-gauges/=w3f55v

Can you remember which grade of stainless? 302/304, or 316? Also, what thickness (your site did not specify this)? Finally, did you buy the 12 piece set, or the roll?

You have a lot of information on your camera build, but you did not give this information.

By the way, your camera looks great! I would consider something like that, but I've never worked with metal.
    I hadn't worked with metal before this camera either. I sold my previous camera and bought a mill, tooling, and vise, and camera parts with the proceeds. I made a lot of the parts more than once!
    I used the 12" lengths. You don't need a spring to run the whole length of the back, you could use 4 pieces. This stuff is very rigid so I only needed 1 layer. I tried two springs but it required too much force to insert a holder and 1 seems to work fine. My camera needs a bail, which I've yet to add. these are what i used: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/2278/=w3wj33
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 1.17.08 PM.jpg  

Thanks for the information!

Being a bit of a cheapskate and having some dead hacksaw blades, I annealed them then filed the teeth off and bent/work hardened them for the springs for my 8x10. I clear coated them to avoid rust. Time will tell if this is a good idea.