Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Packard shutter #8 with dual pistons - need help on adjusting and clean etc.

Re: Packard shutter #8 with dual pistons - need help on adjusting and clean etc.

4" and bigger, it is NOT uncommon to see slivers of light showing at obtuse angles. In practice, it is almost certainly not any problem at all. I use a 4.5" Shutter ALL THE TIME, and have no trouble, not in the least, even though these slivers of light show at angles. The lens has a more perpendicular view, so unless you've got light sources aimed AT the camera that are brighter than whats on the subject you can relax. (and my film is $200/per shot, Polaroid 20"x24")
    Reno (Mr Packard Shutter Co to everybody who doesn't know) no longer services the old #8s, they are LONG discontinued, and his bread and butter is selling new shutters. Reno is a good fellow, but I think the durability of the product is a blessing AND curse for him. I have ordered several new ones from him over the years, and also have a sampling of ancient ones, #5s, #6s, and #8s.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Re: Packard shutter #8 with dual pistons - need help on adjusting and clean etc.

My largest "double pumper" is 8 1/2" square, with a 5" aperture, always worked fine...
    However, I haven't tested it by leaving it pointed at the Sun with the darkslide pulled.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

How do you tell what "number" they are?

Mine came attached to a board for my Chamonix 8x10 but accepts lenses in Technika boards. Lol, so it's a nifty hack, but not sure what number it is.

5&6 are described on packardshutter.com, 8s have two pistons (and bulbs) 1 for time, 1 for instant.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    How do you tell what "number" they are?

Mine came attached to a board for my Chamonix 8x10 but accepts lenses in Technika boards. Lol, so it's a nifty hack, but not sure what number it is.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    5&6 are described on packardshutter.com, 8s have two pistons (and bulbs) 1 for time, 1 for instant.
    Oh! That's the one that has instant! Got it, wish mine were that version. Who knows if I'll even ever use it, can't seem to find the right Petzval and many seem to have a protruding rear so this shutter wouldn't work with that anyway. But this is about the OP I just figured I would ask since it was sort of on topic.

Don't attempt to tighten anything.Also don't use oil. Everything has to be loose and dry to work correctly. Clean the pistons with soft cloth, and the cylinders as well.The pistons should travel freely in the cylinders.
    When mounted no light will pass when it is closed.

Cool, it's good to know that others have no issues with the way it is. So I will put it back now after cleaning bit rust and nothing else. I assume I just hook the 2 pins into the pistons and be back in business?! Btw, the pins are really loose. Before I deplete my very limited $ from PS site on the tubing and bulb, any known big box store items that I can use to make my own ? I hope to post few photos once I complete mounting mod to a large lens.

ps. I did talk to Reno for 1 min and confirm that he does not like #8 at all. From known pictures and very quick look, I dont see real diff from #6 other than it has 2 pistons.

$200 a shot...emm...when you want pass along ur surplus let me know.