Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: polarizing filter

Re: polarizing filter

It is worth mentioning that polarizing filters may cause very undesirable effects when used with wide angle lenses. This is due to the previously mentioned difference in polarization with various angles of the sun. With blue skies, a polarizer can create an uneven effect that may be seen from one side of the image to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    how much do you use a polarizing filter when you are out photographing landscapes.
    I probably only use a polarizer maybe 5% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    It is worth mentioning that polarizing filters may cause very undesirable effects when used with wide angle lenses. This is due to the previously mentioned difference in polarization with various angles of the sun. With blue skies, a polarizer can create an uneven effect that may be seen from one side of the image to the other.
    This may be more a matter of falloff with certain WA lenses that require center filters. I don't recall this being an issue using a Tiffen polarizer (linear) on the Nikkor 90 f8, which I hope you are enjoying Paul.

PDM

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    This may be more a matter of falloff with certain WA lenses that require center filters. I don't recall this being an issue using a Tiffen polarizer (linear) on the Nikkor 90 f8, which I hope you are enjoying Paul.

PDM
    This is absolutely an issue with all WA lenses, if the sky is included. The polarizer is at maximum strength 90 degrees from the sun and ay minimum strength when pointed at the sun or 180 degrees from the sun. Since WA lenses typically cover 90 derees or more, if the sky is included the frame can include areas where the polarizer is at both max and min strength. This leads to very unnatural tones in the sky.

I use a polarize filter often and for land scape a red along with the polarize filter...I dont think it is right or wrong,,just my style..

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    This is absolutely an issue with all WA lenses, if the sky is included. The polarizer is at maximum strength 90 degrees from the sun and ay minimum strength when pointed at the sun or 180 degrees from the sun. Since WA lenses typically cover 90 derees or more, if the sky is included the frame can include areas where the polarizer is at both max and min strength. This leads to very unnatural tones in the sky.
    Absolutely. See my previous post in this thread (#28) with a photo exploiting this very phenomenon.

Doremus

Old post, I know. But... I will often use my Marumi polarizing filter as a 1-1/3 stop neutral density filter when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by wooserco View Post
    Old post, I know. But... I will often use my Marumi polarizing filter as a 1-1/3 stop neutral density filter when needed.
    Polarizer and ND have different effects.

Correct. With the polarizing filter adjusted to minimal effect, it acts as a 1-1/3 stop ND filter. Work for me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by wooserco View Post
    Correct. With the polarizing filter adjusted to minimal effect, it acts as a 1-1/3 stop ND filter. Work for me anyway
    Effects are different: polarizer increases saturation, removes sunlight glares, removes the directional sunlight look, darkens more the blue sky than the clouds...

it can be used to prevent burning the sky like with a ND graded filter, but with different effects in the image.

With difuse (cloudy) light a polarizer does nothing to selectively darken the sky, while a graded ND does it.